• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo Wetsuits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

halfandy

Sep 14, 2014
I'm planning on getting a made to measure 'open' cell zipless spearfishing suit. Either from Elios, or from Polosub.

One question to those diving in open cell wetsuits:
Where am I going to put my car key on shore dives?
At the moment it's tied to my zip and stuffed inside my suit.
If I wore it around my neck inside my (new) suit would it damage the suit at all? I've heard the open cell suits are quite fragile on the inside.

Where do you keep your keys?

I put mine (with integrated electronic key fob) in a dry bag made for a cell phone and put it in my float.

I've also hidden it under a rock near the shore or even under your car / on your tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I do the same a key safe on tow bar or tow ring any where safe ON DRY LAND!.mine was £30 cheap believe me I've done it one fob in waterproof case in dry suite wet and knackered miles from anywhere ,phone in car ,AA card in car ,clothes in car £130 + for new coded key hours and days of Hassel just don't risk it!

Reactions: 103Alex1
Thanks for the advise. I'm liking the sound of the keysafe option. I'll have a look at it.

Luckily I already have a spare key with a broken transwhaterveritisthatmakesthecarwork so I take that one with me and leave the good one in the car.

If I can be arsed I may make a neoprene sleeve for my key and wear it under my suit somewhere. The last thing I want is my key cutting into a new suit.

I stick mine inside a balloon and tie a knot so the electronics don't get wet then I either attach it to my float or stick it in my wetsuit above where the weight belt rests, sandwiched between the pants and the shirt.

I have two Elios customs (3 &5mm) and love them both, great quality and fit. They keep me way warmer than any other wetsuit I have tried so keep that in mind.

On a piece of elastic bungee (2mm?) round my neck, inside my (Elios spearo) wetsuit. No problems in doing that for 9 years+. Just about to renew my wetsuit for other reasons. I also wore a homemade supplemental loading pad under my wetsuit top for about half that time or more. IMPORTANT: I don't carry the electronic key/remote control into the sea though :( - just the basic old metal key; if your car doesn't have a basic metal key - get one if possible, else get another car! :D

But I quite like the idea of a protective (neoprene?) pouch for they key mentioned by halfandy. I do have a dry pouch for a cellphone which I planned to attach to my float for emergencies but never got round to it - seems like I rarely get reception near the coast & if I do the battery goes flat immediately! :( A colleague who sailed said he usually got very good reception at sea within sight of the coast - so perhaps better reception when you get out a bit further?

I use an aquapac pouch that I have used under an open cell suit and it has been fine............... having said that the idea of it leaking is always hovering in my thoughts. I prefer to use the aquapac and then put that into a waterproof canister that attaches to my float............. belt and braces for sure but beats freezing to death whilst waiting for the AA to force my car door open!! :D

I use an aquapac pouch that I have used under an open cell suit and it has been fine............... having said that the idea of it leaking is always hovering in my thoughts. I prefer to use the aquapac and then put that into a waterproof canister that attaches to my float............. belt and braces for sure but beats freezing to death whilst waiting for the AA to force my car door open!! :D

I also use an aquapac pouch but wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it on my float. You never know what gear you might need to ditch in an emergency. I didn't 100% trust the aquapac either so I do what somebody already mentioned and put it in a balloon first and then in the pouch which then goes round my neck. Unless I drown there's no chance that key won't be dry, working and with me when I get out.

Reactions: Pinniped72
I also use an aquapac pouch but wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it on my float. You never know what gear you might need to ditch in an emergency. I didn't 100% trust the aquapac either so I do what somebody already mentioned and put it in a balloon first and then in the pouch which then goes round my neck. Unless I drown there's no chance that key won't be dry, working and with me when I get out.

A balloon and then the aquapac, great idea, I like it and will be doing that from now on, thanks for the suggestion ;)

^ I need to give credit and thank 'Gab' for the balloon idea. I copied him when I read this thread last summer. I'd already bought the pouch but didn't trust it at all. Combing the two was just a no brainer.

Reactions: Pinniped72 and Gab
^ I need to give credit and thank 'Gab' for the balloon idea. I copied him when I read this thread last summer. I'd already bought the pouch but didn't trust it at all. Combing the two was just a no brainer.
That's one of the reasons we are all on here, to share ideas :). Glad the ballon idea allows you to dive with one less worry.

If you don't happen to have a balloon on you...I was told the army/marines carry condoms which can serve multiple purposes (oh ah missus), including being fitted over the barrels of guns to protect them in wet environments (crossing streams/rivers, exiting landing craft, etc.) and as emergency water carriers or flotation devices/buoyancy aids (e.g. stick them in the sleeves/legs of an unused garment). Funny Ray Mears never mentioned them :D

Reactions: Pinniped72 and Gab
If you don't happen to have a balloon on you...I was told the army/marines carry condoms which can serve multiple purposes (oh ah missus), including being fitted over the barrels of guns to protect them in wet environments (crossing streams/rivers, exiting landing craft, etc.) and as emergency water carriers or flotation devices/buoyancy aids (e.g. stick them in the sleeves/legs of an unused garment). Funny Ray Mears never mentioned them :D
I was going to make the "never leave home without a rubber" joke but you beat me to it :)

I never locked my car and never had an issue for over a decade. Luckily I still live in such a place....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never locked my car and never had an issue for over a decade. Luckily I still live in such a place...
Lucky you. I thought I lived in such a place but I had a bike nicked outside our home when I was a young child. I think we all have a responsibility not to tempt the wayward into offending.

I once climbed with a friend at a small crag in rural Wisconsin (a very pleasant, low population area of farmland and wooded hills, with vultures I think). "Never lock the car here" he said, as the cars always get broken into! Instead, he left his window open - so any passing criminal could search the vehicle (there was nothing left inside) without having to break a window. :D

Caveat emptor. Your mileage may vary. etc.

Reactions: 103Alex1
"Never lock the car here" he said, as the cars always get broken into! Instead, he left his window open - so any passing criminal could search the vehicle (there was nothing left inside) without having to break a window. :D

It's very sound advice, I was told exactly the same thing in Vieques and certain parts of Ibiza where pretty much any car will get targeted for a rummage if it's left for longer than about 15 minutes. It's also where I got taught to discreetly bury my car key in a tiny dry box, take landmark pointers and mark the spot rather than ever risk it in the water. Lost 3 hire car keys to the Ocean, including one leashed to my shorts which broke during a night kayak/dive session leaving my car stranded in a very remote location, before getting to grips with another way of doing things ... since I started burying my keys on dry land I've never lost one !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT