• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Specialfins Hybrids vs C4s

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

loopy

Deeper Blue Hypoxyphiliac
Oct 24, 2002
I've heard a lot about these fins, but only had a chance to test C4s. All the reviews from people on the hybrid fins that I've read have either been from people who've gotten them cheaper/free, or those who've never used a fibre/carbon fin before. I'm looking for an honest comparison between the two blades, so if you've used both, and didn't get either for nothing (or cheap), I'd appreciate a few words on them :)

Cheers

Hey Loopster,

I know that those who own specialfins blades originally got them on a trial basis. But if they decided to keep em, I think they had to dish out the coin.....I know I did. Paid 300 bones for mine....so I assure you, I had great expectations.

I have used C4's and specialfins, but the only compairson I can make is with stereopros.

Truth is, I'm not sure that an unbiased comparison of the two fins can be made, since they have very different dimensions and are designed for different purposes. You want a fin for stickin' or travelin'?

Ted

Both :)

I'll def be getting a set of C4s, but they might be left for boat dives/comps/freediving only. I wanted to know how the hybrids compared, cause I wanted something similar, but a bit tougher for rockhopping.

I have both

Gimme 'till next week for the pool evaluations and hopefully only a week after Christmas for some real salty water thoughts. Honestly. :ban

I have to side with Ted.

I have tried out his stereo pros and liked them for somthings, but they still don't have the same kick as my C-4's. I wouldn't hesitate taking the Stereo pros around rocks, and other things, that would make me think twice if I had the carbons. For boat diving I still like my C-4's the best.

Having said that, I believe that Specialfins has a different model, that we haven't tried, that would be closer in performance to the C-4's.

Sven, are you bringing all of those fins with you to Freedive-a-palooza next summer?;)

Jon

Hell, these things look sooo nice in the corner, I may keep 'em even if they work like crap! :t

I don't doubt that if you dropped a note to Jyri or Mikko that they couldn't set up some sort of a demo deal for the show. I mean they trusted me. Poor schmucks.;)

They've already offered and that's why there linked to the Freedive-a-palooza website.

I just have to agree to pay the return post. IF you bring yours I don't need to mail them back to Estonia, and can get other fins sent instead.;)

Jon

Hi, Jyri is here in Eindhoven in the Netherlands for the 2nd Dutch Free DiveINN. He brought a whole lot of fins! I tried around 3 different stereofins and 7 different monofins, and I must say I'm really amazed by the quality and power these fins deliver. The most noticable difference for me is that the stereofins really deliver the output of the drive to the end of the fin... so they keep really straight... After this weekend I've got some more time to tell about this (BTW I normally use c4's)

Now I've got a competition to run... ;-)

Three words, Jon...

Originally posted by Jon
I just have to agree to pay the return post. IF you bring yours I don't need to mail them back to Estonia, and can get other fins sent instead.;) Jon

COMPLIMENTARY PARTING GIFTS :cool:

COMPLIMENTARY PARTING GIFTS

They can be yours if: The price is right.;)

Jon

Loopy,

I have both the Hybrids and C4 30's. My C4s cost me less than my Hybrids thanks to a good friend's dad living in Rome, so hopefully you'll consider my answer as honest. Actually, I had 2 pairs of C4s but sold a pair soon after trying out the Hybrids. As a spearfisherman, I prefer the hybrids over my C4s for a couple of reasons. The main factor is maneuverability. They are shorter and wider with shorter side rails so they are very easy to change direction with and to scull with. Secondarily, they don't wear down my ankles like the C4s do after a long day of diving. Here's some more information you might find useful spoken by a World Champion freediver and some-time spearfisherman: At the recent PFD clinic I took in Miami, Martin Stepanek said the Sebaks/Specialfins were the most maneuverable blades he had ever used. But he also said that C4s provided the most push. I think that pretty much sums it up: if you're interested in pure freediving consider C4s, if you're strictly a spearfisherman consider the Hybrids, if you're doing some of both then I'm not sure what to tell you. All I know is that since I've been using the Hybrids my C4s have yet to make it back on my boat.

If you think the Hybrids are a little pricey, you may want to consider a pair of the regular problades (BWs or Kelpie) in a stiff or maybe even extra stiff model. They’re about half the cost of the Hybrids and are skinner and longer so they end up being a good compromise between the C4s and Hybrids. Unfortunately, I can’t offer you a comparison for these blades because the pair of BWs I have are only medium stiffness and I wouldn’t recommend them for deeper diving but work great for shallower stuff. I’m planning on getting a pair of hard stiffness Kelpies before Hawaii though.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Anyone have ideas to how the Matrix blades compare to specialfins or C4s in terms of speed, wear and tear, cost comparison??

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT