• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Specialfins Monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pach

Mar 20, 2005
My monofins has arrived today (got the specialfins deal: the dolphin and the monofin coloured)! Quite excited! rofl I haven't tried them out yet. Will try the dolphin at the swimming pool tomorrow... if they let me. :) They're my first proper monofins! rofl Getting over excited here!

One thing I'm worried about is how tough are the monofins? If I'm going to take them abroad, shall I bung them with the luggage as fragile (for those with UK TV: but have you seen the horlicks advert?) or take it with me on board the plane and give it to the stewardess/steward to look after (since they won't fit in the overhead lockers)?

Would I be allowed to take them to the SETT course? How do I look after my monofins, eg to prevent wear and tear, etc (use some sort of wax)?

Last edited:
yes you should be able to take them to the SETT - check with Emma - but you might not want to "learn" to use them in the SETT as its easy to hit them on the sides and various bits of machinery in there. Get the hang of it in the pool first.

care is basically try not to bash it around too much, rinse it off after sea or chlorine get on it and let it dry, keep it leaning on its side or flat, not on its base or feet, and get a good bag. Keep it at a normal room temp, don't leave it lying in the sun.

travelling - howard jones at freediver (www.freeology.co.uk) does a good padded travel bag. I wrap mine in towels and put them in the hold in that bag with fragile written all over them - more than one fin in the bag makes it all a bit stronger - but ideally take them on as hand luggage, they fit in some overhead lockers but not all. And even if they take them off you on the plane, at least they then go in on top of the hold rather than under everyones suitcases.

be careful when you first use them, esp with equalising, they do power you down with some force if you get it right and you need to be quick to get the equalisations in.

Sam

Samdive

I have howard paded monofin bag (The silver one) but the bag have a problem. They dont fitt all monofins in it.

As example.. My wifes Specialfin Mono with Omer footpockets fits exact.
My Specialfin Mono with sizs 44-46 footpockets dont fit. My Monofin is ca 2cm longer that normal becauce I am 190cm ...
I have oder this bag for my travers and to protect my carbon fin but now i cant use it.. only my wife and she is very happy;-)

oh - my special fins coloured fin only just fitted - so if you are getting a bigger one you might want a bigger bag!

S

Its sad... I really like the bag....
But anyway... When I am traveling i use 2 off:
protection.jpg
I have cut the exact like my monofins.. I wrap 2 monofins together nad I put the wood on the outside. they fit exact in a Specialfins bag... in this way if somebody trow a suitcase on the top the fins are still protectet.

Negativ... the are lite heavy

Altenativ 2
Use the box where the specialfins was shipping..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT