• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Specialfins Problem

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Snorkel Bum

Absolut Escargot
Mar 26, 2004
Hello everyone,
I have a pair of Kelpies which I bought a few months ago, I have not used them alot, lets say 5 days in ocean water (around 3-4 hours each time) and 4-5 hours in pool water.
Now at the back under the foot pocket (near the screws) an starting to go down the blade are these white dots, they look like air bubbles or something strange like that :confused:
I havent felt any change with the performance apart from that the snap is somehow less significant...
I am not too worried but it is starting to annoy me whenever I look at them and especially if I swim with them...
Does anyone else have this problem too, or have any information about it? I feel gloomy, my babies are sick :(

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 403
I would also like to note that they were DEFINATLY not there when I got them :waterwork

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 407
Yeah.. I emailed Jyri and he said it was the first problem like that he ever had! Well, if ayone has som einfo bout it it would really help! Thnx

Your pictures look like a fiberglass panel that wasn't completely saturated with resin. The "bubbles" look like the topmost part of the fabric that was not saturated and are now absorbing air or water.

From my experiance with Jyri, you will be well taken care of, whatever is going on.

Connor

I've seen this sort of problem twice, once on an early (1998) finis carbon experimental fin, and again on a mat-mas fiberglass/carbon hybrid monofin. It usually means something in the material is breaking down, I think the details are less important.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I think that Connor is right.
The fabric is not 100% saturated, and while you have been using the blades, the airpockets have increased in size.

This is a clear fault in lamination and the warranty will most certainly cover it.

First time I have seen this happen in SpecialFins blades.
You are going to get a replacement pair...right?

Cheers,
Mikko

Wow, thanks for all the help... I emailed Jyri and he said that he will make a new set of blades for me!!! Pretty amazing service! :p Anyway, I am gonna go cry over my dying fins :'(
Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT