• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Specialized guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have but very little experience, really, so what I do is ask a lot of questions and hope that the answers are reasonable. My local dive club is the Long Beach Neptunes and the Riffes all belong. So, I asked Jay what would be the "30/06" of the sea for California and he said his #3 Competitor or the #H Hawaiian mid-handle. They both pull 40". Now a lot of the yellowtail and white sea bass shooters here think that's way too light but I figure that most of my time will be spent off the beach after calico bass, corbina and halibut and if something bigger shows up, I'll either pass up the shot (hah!) or try and make sure that I am well within a 40" gun's range limit. Given the visibility near the beach, that shouldn't be too hard! So, what I did was have Steve Veros of www.poseidonsub.com build me a custom 40" gun because his prices were very reasonable and he's a furniture-builder when it comes to joinery. My kinda guy! You can see my gun on his website under photos. It's the EuroTi with the yellow bands and no inclosed channel.

For a cave gun, I've thought about either a Riffe #1 with a heavy shaft or possibly their 90 mm Eurogun, again with a heavy shaft. Perhaps I'm thinking to much like a rifleman and not enough like an archer but it seems to me that at the close ranges of reefs and caves, a larger diameter shaft has advantages over a slim faster one, especially since it doesn't have to go as far.

Pneumatics, unfortunately, are out of the question for reasons stated earlier in this thread. At least for me.

Riffes & custom made wood guns:cool:. Not readily available in the UK. With Riffe being local, I can't see why you'd really want to look anywhere else. The Riffes look really good, nice quality. I am trying not to aquire fancy tastes with regard to spearguns -- but if I did, there'd be a Riffe on my shopping list! RA have hit the sweet spot for quality/price/design/robustness for me -- but if I lived next door to the Riffes, things might be different!rofl

90cm eurogun for caves...always makes me laugh when Miles & the SA spearos go on about their "short" reef guns (100-115cm!). 90cm is a considered a big gun here (only the Guernsey guys & perhaps a few of the Cornish spearos seem to go any bigger & then usually only 100cm or so). Maybe I don't need a cave gun after all! I've been wondering if 70cm would be too long for the job ...maybe going to 50-65cm range. There is no rush though. Maybe 70cm could be a compromise low viz/cave gun.:)duh I don't even want to think about anymore - it makes my head hurt:head).

Last edited:
Yeah, Steve Veros and I have tossed around the idea of a really short roller gun for caves where you just stick the thing up the fish's nose and pull the trigger. Those things are probably a pain in the lower back to load but they sure are short! I can see slinging one from the float while pottering around with the mid-handle until I ran up next to a reef face then zooming back to change guns when I see an immense grouper glowering out at me. Probaby I'd just drop both of them through buck fever but in the clear, dry air it makes sense . . . probably only in the clear, dry air. ;)

Mr. X, is that you in the pic with that small fish caught? http://forums.deeperblue.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9679&d=1152137320
Well if so, nice to see you (both).
Back on topic, there have been many discussions recently about rock and hole guns, also in the threads "Guernsey" (Old Man Dave made good statements) and "Congers" (me and others giving ideas). But I'm not sure they're good ideas for California too, or for Australia et cetera.
The lesson I've learned after months attending this international forum, is that the world is not all the same: an italian or a greek can't tell an american, or even an englishman, what gun is good for waters and fishes that we never experienced first hand.
However, as bisexuals claim, "a hole is a hole". I still think that cave hunting is probably the same, or at least similar, no matter what part of the world you do it. And so a short gun (no matter what brand) is more handy for creeping in narrow spaces, a good "punch" of power is welcome, expensive materials like wood and carbon are a waste, since they can get ruined against rocks, and accuracy is not an issue for short shots on motionless targets.
I think these concepts may be universal ones, but to be sure I should spearfish all over the world to verify concepts on so many different battlefields (that wouldn't be bad: I'll try to play grandma's Lotto numbers).

Obviously we are all agreeing on a gun of minimal length for maneuvorability and of sufficient power to fully penetrate a large fish, even though range is much less a factor than in blue water. However, though dings and scratches are a fact of life around rocks, to me wood still has a couple of advantages. Firstly, it floats by itself. A metal gun needs to be foam-filled to get the same effect and once dinged, the foam might well absorb water "like a sponge" which would cancel the desired effect. Also, for most of us who happen to be home craftsmen, wood is a whole bunch easier to work. Even teak is more forgiving that aluminun tubing. So if someone wants a particular configuration that (for some completely unknown reason) he has decided is The Absolute, wood must continue to be the material of choice. Yes, it will get banged around but just as with a rifle stock, a damp cloth, a hot clothes iron, a bit of sanding and a couple of coats of oil and the old girl is good as new. Of course, if one isn't quite such a crank about designs and can be made happy with an off-the-peg gun, hey, go metal. Just don't let go!

spaghetti said:
The lesson I've learned after months attending this international forum, is that the world is not all the same: an italian or a greek can't tell an american, or even an englishman, what gun is good for waters and fishes that we never experienced first hand.
However, as bisexuals claim, "a hole is a hole"

amen.
lol.gif

Not a reef/hole gun but my first effort at a complete gun.
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=66796"]Euro-Hybrid R&D Project[/ame]

Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT