• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spectra loop packs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

doyenofcastle

Oct 30, 2012
hi guys,

what s the recommended line dia. , strenght to make the spectra loop packs ?I made one using 97kg /1.5 mm rope but I think it will be cut cause the pulling strenght of rubber is 250--300 Ib

Hi Doyen, can you please clarify. Specifically: What do mean by "spectra loop packs"? Are you talking about making dyneema/UHMWPE wishbones? Or perhaps constrictor cord or perhaps toggle loops to be inserted into the rubbers (usually with a big knot or plastic/metal toggle)?

If the former, what type of spear are you using? e.g. does it have hard notches, smoothed notches, shark fins or pins sticking up, for the wishbone to engage with?

What cord are you using for you constrictor cord? I find that braid has the right sort of thickness but it stretches - so it is vital that it is done up very tight. spearitco.com sell kevlar for this - presumably because it does not stretch, however, it seems a bit thin & therefore more likely to cut into the rubber.

What are you using as the toggle - just a knot or a bead of some kind?

Suggest you take a look at this website spearitco.com , as they offer various cords & toggles for this sort of thing.
e.g.
clear1x1.gif

Spearit Original Kevlar®² Speargun Band Constrictor Cord 1mm(200lb)

NTR Speargun Band Wishbone Beads

Spearit Kevlar®² Speargun Line 1.7mm

Spearit Spectra®¹ Wishbone Kit with NTR Inserts (Sz Med)
Only $9.99 per kit

_Recommended for blue water where structure is not an issue_
_As low as $0.12 per foot_ _Everything you need to make and install 3 wishbones for 1/2in-5/8in bands_

Looks like the above plastic toggles provide an alternative approach, replacing both the toggle/stopper knot and the loop - allowing the shorter wishbone cord to be replace without messing about with the rubbers & constrictor knots

I re-use the nylon toggles from my Rob Allen dyneema wishbones but also have some heavy, oval/egg-shaped beads from the above company, which I have yet to use. Toggles seem like a more secure approach than just using stopper knots to me.

BTW Which knot do you use? I would probably use a double overhand knot (which is also what I used as the stopper knot behind my toggles).
double-overhand-knot.jpg

Reactions: doyenofcastle
very good , due you use any other type of knots instead of constrictor to keep the wishbone ?
No, only the constrictor knot. I suppose there must be other knots which will easily slide tighter but not slip looser but I haven't come across any. The constrictor knot is relatively simple and works remarkably well.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT