• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spirtuality

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
What's up with the "karma" anyways?

Besides if a person where to say something like "I like Saddam and his regime of terror" and I disagree, I would still use his new idea on CO2 tables if I thought it looked good.

And again this is a forum on the internet and as said before a person "saying" something can't defend their statement. I'm sure if we all met in real life we would all be friends ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Amphibious
Spirituality....

"I will meet you, my friends, at the end of the journey and we will laugh in the light of the One, diving into the infinite." --Eric Y.

Thanks for putting this into perspective, Eric.

What I really like about Eric’s statement is the evocative nature of free diving:
“We all share a love for the sea; a quest for something that is just around the corner. …… maybe under a ledge on a reef at 5 or 50 meters. Spirituality is what I look for there (as well as other places), and I believe it's the same for many….. A connection to something unseen; just out of sight... whether diving… hunting….or seeking a "pure immersion"....those acts are an analogy to the journey of life and searching for the Big Answer.
Faith is the centre-point of spirituality, and we must have faith to hold our breath and dive…”
--Well said and thoughts worth considering.
Life is such an incredible gift. Despite pain and grief, we weather the storms intact.
We feel the Grace and Love that surrounds and supports us – it never retreats.
Isn’t the ultimate challenge to understand the lessons and meaning beneath the surface?
Looking around, we observe others surviving and thriving.
Do we all react the same? Hardly.
Can we continue to live with hearts open wide, balanced, ‘en Pointe’ with deep gratitude for this amazing opportunity?
Such is the challenge.
I agree, it is an analogy for the journey of life.
It is our nature to search for big answers.
On this vast Ocean, we can become so distracted w/surface activities -- we seldom dive down and look deeper.
If we’re narcissistic, we will see ourselves to the exclusion of everything else.
If we’re not, we may be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of and feel the connection with Everything Else.

---Thanks, Eric for the inspiration.

Last edited:
debate the argument....don't attack the arguer.

Originally posted by Seal
What's up with the "karma" anyways?

...I'm sure if we all met in real life we would all be friends ;)

I don't know if I'd go that far ;). There are some pretty, er, unique personalities 'round here. Since folks are so different, coming from such a miriad of cultures and beliefs, I don't think that the 'golden rule' (do on to others as you would have done to you) is our best option. Better to follow the 'silver rule' (do NOT do on to others as you would NOT like done to you). I've noticed that we have more of our dislikes in common than our likes ;).

Besides, I'm quite sure that I do NOT like andrsn.

rofl.

that's a shame man... Anderson was going on and on at the Kraze about how he thought you were such a studmuffin. :inlove

sven :t

I follow the One Whose Tomb Is Empty

If God allows atheism and unbelief, who am I to forbid it.
So before anyone gets offended - please bear with me.

I have been freediving for 34 years and I am able to recall almost every single dive I made - thus I can identify with anybody in his passion for freediving - the qualitative aspect.

I have been at international comps doing national records,
and I like to work at my depth, see my recent post: 51.2 (freediving stories).
Therefore I can identify with anybody in his ambition or urge to go deeper - the quantitative aspect.

There is a special reason why I mention these things:
to be all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

That implies I am not trying to change the world, nor does God.
I only want to be a road sign to a personal relationship with God on the basis of Jesus Christ's death in our place.

As a law student Josh Mc Dowell chose an interesting subject for his thesis: He wanted to prove that the Bible is not reliable as supernatural resource. In his attempt to rip it apart he surrendered to the overwhelming evidence in favour of the old book. The conclusion of his study: there is no historic incident better or more variously supported than the resurrection of Christ.
http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/articles/josh2.html

Isaac Newton was a firm believer, in fact among his contemporaries he was better known as a theologian rather than as a scientist. When Jim Irwin, commander of Apollo 15, returned from the moon he made this famous statement: "It is more important that Jesus has walked on the earth, rather than that man has walked on the moon."

What was good for them is good enough for anybody ...
I wish You all safe and pleasant dives!

Gerald

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
With regards to dreaming.....

I've only dreamt of freediving once. It was the night after seeing The Big Blue. It must have thrown some kind of mental switch because between the dream and the movie, I was introspective for several days. People who knew me started asking what was wrong with me when I wasn't my usual zany self.

I don't remember much of the details, just that it was very intense but not objectionable.

I do however note that I've dreamt of sailing numerous times. I believe there are several types of dreams: those the brain uses to sort through problems, those the brain uses to express frustration, fear etc, often through the use of symbolisms, and those that the brain indulges in merely for the experience, be it pleasurable or otherwise. Sometimes these indulgent dreams replay pleasant events from real life but more often I'd have a crappy day where everything went wrong and the dream would attempt to rectify things by letting me experience 'how it should have been'. Not that all of my sailing dreams have been pleasant.

Why sailing? you might ask. It's something I've had more experience in than freediving, and is also a subject close to my heart. I guess you could say I'm a bit obsessed by sailing.

Re: I follow the One Whose Tomb Is Empty

Originally posted by Gerald
If God allows atheism and unbelief, who am I to forbid it.
So before anyone gets offended - please bear with me.

I have been freediving for 34 years and I am able to recall almost every single dive I made - thus I can identify with anybody in his passion for freediving - the qualitative aspect.

I have been at international comps doing national records,
and I like to work at my depth, see my recent post: 51.2 (freediving stories).
Therefore I can identify with anybody in his ambition or urge to go deeper - the quantitative aspect.

There is a special reason why I mention these things:
to be all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

That implies I am not trying to change the world, nor does God.
I only want to be a road sign to a personal relationship with God on the basis of Jesus Christ's death in our place.

As a law student Josh Mc Dowell chose an interesting subject for his thesis: He wanted to prove that the Bible is not reliable as supernatural resource. In his attempt to rip it apart he surrendered to the overwhelming evidence in favour of the old book. The conclusion of his study: there is no historic incident better or more variously supported than the resurrection of Christ.
http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/articles/josh2.html

Isaac Newton was a firm believer, in fact among his contemporaries he was better known as a theologian rather than as a scientist. When Jim Irwin, commander of Apollo 15, returned from the moon he made this famous statement: "It is more important that Jesus has walked on the earth, rather than that man has walked on the moon."

What was good for them is good enough for anybody ...
I wish You all safe and pleasant dives!

Gerald
I have to admit I haven't read all the posts on this thread so please forgive me if I'm dicounting some prior statements. It's not intentional.
I just wanted to say thank you Gerald for such a well stated ....ah statement.:D I definatley agree with you and I've learned some interesting tidbits. (specifically the fact about Jim Irwin.) Thanks again!
And I think there are some great people on this board. All of you have helped me beyond words to further my interest in freediving.
Much obliged and God bless,
Stitch

With any luck my signature should expound what I've found of the spirit in freediving...

Re: dreaming

Originally posted by Herman
Do you ever dream about freediving ?

Yup. And I wake up holding my breath sometimes! Sometimes the dreams are in the air- I'm monofinning and holding my breath, but I'm flying over land, or through rooms :)
A long time ago I had this "vision" if you like, in a meditation:
I am standing on an alien beach, somewhere in the universe. The colours are the colours you only see in dreams or OOB's. An indigo dolphin calls me to swim out to see. I swim with him at the surface, jumping and leaping into the air! I have become a dolphin too. Then he dives, deeper and deeper, and I follow. It gets darker and darker, but he glows indigo, so I can still see him. At a very deep point, we turn and begin an ascent, faster and faster...I can see him kicking hard to my left.
We breach the surface, but instead of splashing back into the sea, we keep going up and up. We leave the atmosphere, fly to the local star, and dive into it. As we approach the centre, we are slowly and painlessly dissolved, then radiated out in all directions as light.
That was about 10 years ago, that "vision". At the time I was not a freediver, and had no aspirations to be one. It literally was like watching and being in a film at the same time.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Re: Re: dreaming

Originally posted by Erik
Yup. And I wake up holding my breath sometimes!

rofl

I do this all the time. I always feel like a total idiot....

I do this too! according to my sleeping companion, the deepest bear, I regularly kick out hard in my sleep then wake up gasping for air!

do you think its dangerous???

I've heard of sleep apnea but I don't think it was meant to have anything to do with freediving...

Sam

Last night i dreamed of freediving. There was a lot of fish in the water with me and i was having a great time. There were also some very big sharks which i tried to stay away from. On one dive i found something very interesting there in the bottom and spent quite a long time there. when starting to swim back up for more air i realized that sharks had moved very close to me. I got a bit scared of them and decided to swim away from them at the bottom. When i dove back to bottom i realized that i was really low on oxygen and had to swim up right trough circling sharks. I started kicking but at the same time i lost all my strenght and just could not swim up. I felt like i was blacking out and woke up.
It was kinda scary.
Not my first freediving dream, but first one where i dreamed of something bad happening.

Tuomo

For me the spiritulaity of freediving is in the silence. I am a beginner freediver but have definitely felt 'something' whilst down there.

I think of diving every day and often dream of diving, usually I am sliding deep into black water and can just make out my gloved hands stretched out in front of me.

One of the best experiences I had was in about 10m of water. I descended by rope and kicked off, finning slowly along the seabed. From above beams of sunlight cut through the water. As I cruised along I felt that warmth inside, the feeling that you could hold your breath forever and just stay down there.

Its a feeling that is hard to explain but one that is shared by all freedivers, there is something spiritual there. I think we all know it.

You know, I think that dreams are the brain's way of either working out problems (hence the 'interpretive' dreams) or practiving something. Or both. So if you dream freediving and wake up holding your breath perhaps it's your brain's way of sneaking in a little more practice.

I want to share one pic in this thread :)
Hope it's ok and you like it. It was taken by our photographer Alberto Balbi during the Apnea Academy meeting in Ustica last month.

aug03.jpg

hi

Thank you for that pic it is incredible, the water is so clear the sun is shining down, AWSOME :)

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT