• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Splicing and Using Spectra

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RabiDeath

Oct 29, 2003
I recently aquired 100 m of Spectra line that I plan to use in my newest bungee instead of mono. I have some knowledge of hollow braid splicing, but I wanted to tap into the local knowledge here for some tips. Specifically, is simply pulling a 2-3 in length through the core a sufficient splice, or should I do some additional stitching to shore it up? Also, what of Spectra as a shooting line?

I think it depends on what type of spectra you have. Pure spectra is very slick and doesn’t hold knots well. A lot of spectra these days is treated so that it will knot better. The draw back to the treated, is that when it loses its slickness it also loses its abrasive resistant. Untreated spectra is difficult to cut with sharp scissors. The fibers are so flexible and small they want to bend around the cutting surface. You have to work at it to cut it.

I am not too familiar with hollow core spectra. I do know Izorline makes some and their stuff is not treated and is very slick. I think you had better do some threading and maybe even some glue too.

I have used it ifor shooting line, but switched to stainless, because in an oilrig environment, nothing comes close to the durability of stainless. Plus stainless resists twisting better.
don

Rabi, for the hollow core spectra I would make the loop the same way as the pic in the site below. http://www.bhptackle.com/doors/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=3&DID=18
If you plan to splice the spectra with only 3 inches in the core then forget about it because it will most likely slip when you need it to hold the most. As for the solid spectra, I would guess that the only way to make the loop would be to either knot the spectra or crimp it.
HTH

That looks pretty good! Where do you buy hollow core spectra domestically?

Bringing back an old thread, but anyone know differences in properties between spectra & vectran?

vectran

Hey, Fuzz I found this old thread where you ask about Vectran versus Spectra/dynema.

I design new technologies for sails, and this kind of fibers lay all around my desk.

Vectran is about as thought you can get, excepting for the wet abrasion resistance about 4-7% lower than the one of Spectra/dynema (more if is not the special marine Vectran). If you have the $$$, Vectran is over all the best think out there, and his creep resistance (variation of his textile resistance under repetitive loads) make a real interesting choice for big running fish. Is more rigid than spectra and on many aspects easier to handle.

Or top cruising (long lasting for a outstanding performance) sails are made with Vectran.

More info can be get from the web, or I can send a PDF by email with all the engineering Bla...Bla... to anyone like this stuff.

Don't throw your Spectra away: is an outstanding fiber that will do most of what a spearo will never need.

For the good news is something stronger: PBO (poly p-phenylene-2,6-bezobisoxazole), or under his commercial name: Zylon.

PBO is the strongest fiber your bucks (and a lot of them) can buy... Your best shooting line! well... for a little while because he degrades over time under our normal spearo conditions and sunlight.

For any of those non covered ropes, the results are better if you apply an urethane/sunblock base coating. He make ropes with out cover behave more like an mono by adding some kind of plastic coating to the fibers.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT