• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

split fins for freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Randy Quimpo

Mar 13, 2002
A friend of mine (a scuba diver, of course) was trying to tell me that his Scubapro Force fins were the way to go for freediving.

Is this true? I have never seen or heard of a freediver using split fins.

OK for tanks

The split fins from Scubapro are fine once you get used to them, it took me a while to have to go back to bicycle kicking. For freediving, they take too much motion to get them to generate any oomph.
A friend of mine split his Omer Winters as an experiment and laced the blades to the rubber rails and said that he hasn't noticed any real benefits.

sven

Don't waste your money

The split fins are junk.
We had a guy try and play undewater hockey with them last week. He couldn't keep up with the people wearing small full foot snorkeling fins. I think that they are way too floppy for freediving- just like Force Fins.

I have even tried them on some deeper scuba dives were I had to drag a couple of stage bottles around- junk. I use Turtle fins instead for scuba and they push me along much better at half the cost!

Check out the Diverite web site. They just did some side-by-side test runs with split fins versus regular paddle fins. It makes for interesting reading.

You can get real freediving fins for a LOT less money than split fins. That would be a much better way to go. Don't waste your cash on the splits.

Jon

Don't waste your money? Now thats saying it like it is!

Thanks a lot for the replies - sure clears up a lot of things!

custom split garas

check this out guys...

i've shortened a pair of my gara ld's down last year and split the the ends about 10inches and drilled the fracture relief hole at the end.

they.... kick butt :cool:

swimming with shortened ld's calls for some powerful lower legs, but splitting the ends helps channel the water and lessens the overall resistance. summary... a pretty durable/powerful/ and efficient rock fin.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT