• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sporasub Aspic Trigger Mech

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

groats

pelogic thinker
May 1, 2003
Hi all!
Does anybody know Sporasub`s Aspic trigger mech? I own the aspic 55 and want to make it a 100cm. How much load can that mech take (double 16`s at 100cm? Single 18 or 20 at 100?)? I can get alu tubes of any diameter at any lenght for free, so i thought if i just have to buy rubbers, line and spear there`s no sense in buying a hole new gun. Am i right thinking that all the aspic models have the same handle+mech and muzzle, from 55 to 100cm?

This might be a good thing to do for a beginner like me and i could save money for totem and the likes:p :cool: :inlove

Any input apprecciated, regards, joe

P.S.: I`m thinkin of using a 6mm spear instead of 6.5 but a stronger barrel (like 1.5mm instead of 1mm @ 26mm inner diam.), how about that considering i only shoot small prey up to 5kg, usually 0.5-2kg??

Last edited:
The Sporasub mechs are standard throughout their gun range. They work real well as long as the safety lock does not come off. If it does and sand gets it it seizes.

I had a Spoarasub mech on a 115 with 20mm bands and it was ok. Twin 16 is the max I would try if you must but wou wont need it for the size fish mentioned.

You need to take care with the muzzle as the way it is held onto the barrel is strange and I am not sure how easy it will be to get it completely straight.

An a last note, make sure you block the tubes properly as sporasubs are known for leakage problems

Hope this helps

Shane

Reactions: groats
100cm, here i come!

Thanks shane! So no prob with a long barrel. And yes, my 55 leaked as well in the first place. I just had to tighten the front screw. I might as well put some foam into the barrel space to solve that problem. Maybe I`ll add a rail to it for stiffness and accuracy.
I think I`ll make it a 100cm for general use. Some people advise getting a 90 and a 110, but I`m really a beginner, so it has to be as versatile as possible.

Greets, joe

A 100 should be fine.

Be carful with the foam you use as I tried it and instead of stopping the water it sucked it in like a sponge. The gunn was real heavy and I hard a real hardtime to get the water and soaked foam out of the barrel. I used Corks and "Tiger Seal" which is used to make wooden boats watertight. I have taken the gun down to 20m without further leakage problems.

Spora 100 and 6mm

I`ll see what foam i can get. What about spear diameter? I hear everyone using 6.5 or 7mm. Does it make sense to take 6mm by 130cm of spear lenght? I mean the fish size is really small for which i don`t need a lot of punch but a fast and long shot.

Cheers, Joe

For a 100cm gun without a rail you need at least a 140cm shaft. Go with a 6.5 as 7 might be a bit of overkill for the fish you are targetting. The 6mm are very fast but get bent easy and dont carry too well for long distance.

I had an Aspic 100 for 2 years, quite a good gun I had double 24cm rubbers on Euro head.

Nothing happened... well I speared fishes with... and barrel seems to be OK.

As a friend offered me a new gun, I reduced my aspic for a 75 for cave hunting...

I also agree with Shane as:

- Sporasub is known for leakage probs with their gun
- for 100cm barrel, use a 140 cm shaft, not a 130 cm.
- the 6mm shaft is not really appropriate. I'm using 6mm only on a 90 cm gun (130 cm shaft) for aspetto when I go for very very shy fishes when I need very quick shot

yes ,
My dad has a 110 viper and it leaked as well, we used silicone to seal it, and its now perfect :) IMO if you are strong in arms go for a single 20mm rubber with 6.5mm shaft.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT