• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

SPORASUB ONE AIR UPDATE

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Peter Ramsay

Feb 9, 2015
This weekend I got the 110 ready for a pool test but installing the mono line and increasing the pressure to 22 Bar.

The gun was pretty accurate hitting within 5 cm of the target bull's eye at 6 m distance after I lightened the trigger pull slightly. What I am not impressed with is the quality of the barb (flopper) on the spear. It is a light duty piece of stainless steel and does not lock open when fully deployed. If a fish rolls the shaft then the barb can close with the resultant loss of the fish.

Has anyone replaced the barb on a Sporasub/Omer shalf with a heavier duty Rob Allen barb? It doesn't look like one can crimp the standard Sporasub barb to enable it to lock in place when fully deployed.

I am also not a fan of the spear point tip and prefer a tri-cut point. I might end up modifying a 7 mm Rob Allen spear to work in the One Air.

As I can only fit 3 wraps of mono on the line release, does anyone make a good aftermarket line release for these guns?

Thanks
Peter

No one makes a third party release AFAIK. The market is tiny.

I was under the impression that Rob Allen spears, though tough as nails, were prone to suffer surface corrosion? Which, if true, would likely mess with the seals in the vacuum muzzle. That's why I stayed away from them. But I have only ever seen one in person and it was too new to tell if corrosion would be a problem.

Good to hear you actually target tested the gun and that precision was good. There seems to be an understanding that a freeshaft/nude/front-tied spear is not as precise as those with sliders. But I'd say your results prove that even if they are less precise, it is minute.

Thanks Diving Gecko. I have used RA spear for more than 20 years and they only seem to corrode when they are abused. If you rinse the spear and occasional run an oil rag over them then they are fine.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Thanks Diving Gecko. I have used RA spear for more than 20 years and they only seem to corrode when they are abused. If you rinse the spear and occasional run an oil rag over them then they are fine.

That's good news. I might see an RA spear in my future then.

Reactions: Peter Ramsay
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was not happy with the barb (flopper) on the One Air shaft. This evening I ground off the barb rivet and installed a new 85 mm Rob Allen barb. I crimped the barb so that it would remain fully deployed when in the open position. I shouldn't lose any fish with this setup!

Attachments

• Shaft_2.JPG
    Shaft_2.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Shaft_1.JPG
    Shaft_1.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 151
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT