• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sporasub variant carbon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kirehe

Apr 28, 2002
I recently bought the sporasub variant carbon (can be broken into two pieces for easy transport), which is sporasub's most recent blade. I find this blade very soft, although I have not tried many other fins, so I do not have a great deal to compare with.

Either way, has any else tried these fins, and what is your output on them?

Safe diving!

Kirehe, I have the same problem. The sporasub variant carbon is very soft. It dosent give much lift from the botom.

Sporasub produce at least 2 different stiffness carbon blades for the variant. I've tried the ones with the yellow code sticker, which being soft are about right for me, and the ones with the white sticky lable, which are so stiff that I find them difficult to use - far stiffer than the standard black plastic comp fins (which I really like). As a reference point I was using Cressi LD fins before.

BTW, does anyone out else out there find that a high frequency low amplitude "flutter" kick seems to work better with the variant fins than the usual low frequency high amplitude kick used with other long fins?

I have not seen different stiffnesses for the carbon blade for the variant fin. are you sure? only one carbon blade is listed at sporasub's website.

Positive - I ended up getting both as the soft ones I was given as a present seemed too soft until I bought the hard ones!! You'll have to go to a shop to test them to find a hard pair. I've only tried the carbon fins in the pool so far - after xmas I'll get the chance to try them in the sea, after which I'll probably sell the stiffer ones unless my technique improves!
BTW I meant that I use a straightleg high frequency low amplitude technique, not a flutter (got my terms confused). What technique do you use with your variants? Do you also have the standard black comp blades? Do they require a different technique in your opinion?

I saw a picture on the IAFD site of Pipin using the Varient foot pockets on a monofin blade.
Did Sporasub come out with this to the general public yet? That would be a really nice feature if it worked. Then, you could have one really nice pair of foot pockets to switch around between pastic, carbon and mono.

Jon

Last edited:
Here is the picture.

Jon

Last edited:
wow, that mono with sporasub pockets looks pretty cool. anyhow, I assume that I have the soft blade, which is pretty nice in my opinion. however, my fins broke a while back. the footpocket could not bear the pressure, and it tore where it connects to the blade. although only one footpocket broke like that, I see the same strains on the other too... hence, it will break soon too. I am about to return them... I think it was a great fin, but clearly it needs some quality improvement.

One reason I may not have seen the other blade is because I bought them in sweden, where freediving gear is anything but abundant. I am sure there is more stuff in italy :)

Simonhc, I do not know anything about different kicks, so I cannot help you with that.

The fin threads come round every now and then, and they always generate quite a few replies.

I like the look of the C4's (see lots of spearos using them here...) but they're hardly ever mentioned in the forum.

I think Eric F once said that they were the best bifins he'd tried...

Can anyone else recomend them?

Cheers

Al

Hi Al

My apnea instructor here in Milan say Pelizzari uses C4 25 fins, the softest available, and I'm told by a course participant that the free divers on Stefano Tovaglieri's advanced apnea course in Saronno who have carbon fins all have C4's (Gara HF's are also popular, he says)

Simon

PS bloody envious that you live on the coast, Al

PPS Just tried dolphin kicking with my variant carbons and now have a good idea why everyone raves about how much fun using monofins is!

Low wages and small houses are a small price to pay for this view!

DSC00250.jpg

From your English I guess you can't be an Italian...?

Where do you dive?

Al

Sardinia north of Orestano when I can get there, Goat Island when I go back to my native NZ every August (cold!), Red Sea when I can afford it, but now I'm getting more addicted I'll be coming down your way soon on the weekends. They say the maritime park near Portofino is worth a visit too.

Simon

Al pm

Hi Al,

Just sent you a private message with more info

(Not sure if you get an email notification of this or not)

C4

Al
There are only a few fins that I haven't tried. Nothing beats the new C4-40 and it feels better than most. Very smooth. I'm trying to convert to 'dolphin style' and it seems to work well at that, too. When down deep and heavy the Beuchat stiff fin has a unique response, if you have the legs. Still trying to borrow Beuchat carbon and Sporasub variants to try. You can't go wrong with the C4 and you can match it to your style.
Aloha
Bill

Cheers Bill,

My local dive shop will supply the C4 40 mounted on foot pockets (I didn't ask but probably Sporasubs) for 196 Euros.

Seems a decent price. Are they worth it?

Al

Al,
Buy them now!! The price is good and you can't go wrong with the blades. I'd buy another pair for myself if there was any way to ship them here. Just make sure you like the footpockets.

Hydro, NY

Al
They're worth it. Easy. When I trade fins it's like trading bicycles. They never wanted to give me my deRosa back, neither. My only comment is, for spearfishing to 35 meters or dynamic, the C4-30 might be a little better but, I haven't been able to try one.
Aloha
Bill

Oops
Bill may be right. I rushed to say "buy them" just by the price deal. I've been using the C4 40s for dives up to 47m and spearfishing the 25-35m zone. I wouldn't change the 40's for deep dives but maybe the 30s are better for spearfishing. Haven't tried them but a friend of mine who spearfishes went with the 30's and he's very happy he didn't buy the 40's.

Hydro

Good advice guys.

Actually the people in the shop (massively experienced spearfishers) said that they would stick with the 25s for my first set of carbon fins.

I went with their advice. At this price I can always 'upgrade' if I find them to be too soft.

Ciao

Al

Good advice guys.

Actually the people in the shop (massively experienced spearfishers) said that they would stick with the 25s for my first set of carbon fins.

I went with their advice. At this price I can always 'upgrade' if I find them to be too soft.

Ciao

Al

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT