• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spots in Greece Islands (cyclades)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BlueIcarus

New-born freediver
Aug 1, 2003
Anyone knows spots in Greek Islands (cyclades) ??

Any good spots in the cyclades for freediving/spearfishing?

Any apnea schools there?

Is U/W hunting legal in Greece??

Whom may i contact to know??

Thanks folks and let the water run through your bodies!!

Last edited:
Most islands in the Cyclades are good for spearfishing but the fish are DEEP. Your main fish are groupers, white sea bream and (if you are really good) Dentex. You must be able to dive 15m+ (even 30m) to get anything decent. The clarity of the water is unbelievable.
Freedive spearfishing is legal in Greece (Scuba and night spearing is definetely illegal) but you need a fishing licence. You can PM me if you need more info.

Angelos

SCUBA in Greece

I have been in Athens for about a year. I am interested in information about dive sites in the Athens area or on nearby islands. I have been diving in Santorini and Hydra. Not much fish life to see. Does anyone have any good locations that they can recommend?

Spearfishing in Greece is really difficult. The quantities of marine species , are really running low year by year, and they get more syspicious (they disappear on site) every day. There are still some good places were you could make a decent catch, but sadly very few...Our main ``targets``are big black groupers, dentex (or bream ), snapers, sea bass (only in winter time), amberjacks and other Mediterranian species...Most decent greek spearo`s often dive bellow 25 meters (sometimes even bellow 35-40 meters), and their main techniques are aspetto,aguatto and rock to rock search...

As frogman said ,most islands in Cyclades are good for spearfishing (especially during summer time, for big pelagics, like amberjacks, yahoo and tunas),,,but a boat is essential in order to discover the ``good`` spots...And certainly the ability to dive DEEP...

Blueicarus...There are quite a few apnea schools here...Some are,,, HFL, AIDA, Apnea Academy...

You could also check the greekdivers community (www.greekdivers.com), were there are quite a few people ,most willing to help you and answer any question ,you may have...

Take care, dive safely...

frogman said:
Most islands in the Cyclades are good for spearfishing but the fish are DEEP. Your main fish are groupers, white sea bream and (if you are really good) Dentex. You must be able to dive 15m+ (even 30m) to get anything decent. The clarity of the water is unbelievable.
Freedive spearfishing is legal in Greece (Scuba and night spearing is definetely illegal) but you need a fishing licence. You can PM me if you need more info.

Angelos

How (and where) I can obtain fishing licence to legally spearfish in greece? I am from Slovakia.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT