• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sri Lanka diving????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

daveking

Feb 25, 2003
Hey!
I am off to the wave battered island nation od Sri Lanka in a week.
I was going to cancel then i thought I could take some stuff, help out and still see this place.
Anyone know a place to freedive/ SCUBA there? what is sit like?
help me out please!
Dave

Hi Dave
Most of the scuba scene is/was in Hikkadawe just north of Galle but I think they/ve all gone now as have most of the centres on the south coast around Dondra and Tissa, Aragum Bay has gone so dont try there, the Trinco area is a mess to and the hotels have gone there too. so probably best to try a bit north of Colombo or possibly the Mount Lavinia area? I know the hotel is fine and fully operational but there was some damage on the beach so I dont know whats there and whats not. Further north theres Negombo a popular tourist stop, minimal damage I hear, it has scuba centre's and Sri Lanka's only proffesional Spearo I forget his name sorry. Then further north there's Puttalam Laggon again another scuba centre there. I wouldnt go further north than that, your asking for trouble or the east coast for that matter (Trinco or Aragum).
For my money I would try Mount Lavinia.
Ayubowan

Just another thought, Dont cancel, GO, please, these people need tourists back soon, obviously dont expect 5* treatment in the southern areas because they dont have it to give but in the places Ive said you''l be fine. Also try going inland, everything is as close to normal as you'lll get it and its a wonderfull country. Try Anuradhnapura, Dambulla, Polonuwara, Sigiriya in the cultural triangle. Kandy is a must as is the elephant orphanage at Pinnawella (this place relies 100% on tourism) If the weather is always sunny then go up to Nuwara Eliya in the hills (Stay at the St Andrews, Great food)
Do this, I guarantee you'll be as adicted to the place as I am, I cant wait to go back

Check this site out for possibly the best information on the island

Last edited:
Alison,
Thanks so much for your advice! I am going and will do my best to see the places that you have recommended.
Will let you know how it went.
Dave

Cheers Dave
I hope you have a great time and dont miss the elephant orphanage if you've got any familly

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT