• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

St Lucia regulations?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

winky

Jun 30, 2008
Hi guys, hope someone is able to help me.

Having just booked my honeymoon to St Lucia for later this year I immediately started looking at the spearfishing there (much to the fiance's annoyance!). Is it true that it is illegal for someone who isn't from St Lucia to spearfish here?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - by me but not so much by the missus!

Nick

Nick I’m not 100% sure but if it’s the same as Grenada/Tobago then yes it’s illegal for any none native to spearfish. Of course I stand to be corrected?
I take my fins, mask and snorkel and just freedive when I’m over that way, didn’t even need a weight belt last time as the only neoprene I had on was my socks, it’s just as enjoyable as spearing would be. (Well almost)
You’ll love it, enjoy.

Cheers Podge,

Yeah I'll take my stuff.... at least that way I will be able to just enjoy being in the water!

A few years ago I went back to where I was born on Gizo in the Solomon Islands - right out to the western province where not many tourists venture. I wasn't in to spearfishing at that point and did loads of diving and now thinking back to some of the dives I was doing - loads of WW2 wrecks, beautiful reefs and amazing drop-offs, in easily freedive-able range and with so many big fish on them including barracuda, tuna etc. I guess it'll be similar out in the Caribbean look but don't touch but still have brilliant experiences! Oh and of course it'll be so much better as I will be on my honeymoon as well!!??!?

Cuba regulation

Spearfishing!!! Honeymoon???? :confused: Are you nut??:naughty

Well good trip

I have the same question about Cuba
Does somebody have a contact with locals in Varadero. I speak decent spanish. And I would like to know the people not just the bottom of the sea.
Or if i'm lucky I'll meet a Cuban spearfisherman.

Nick, Where will you be staying on your honeymoon? If you want to call me, 619-654-1894, I have some worthwhile advise.( I went to St. Lucia January 2010) But, as far as I know it is illegal to spearfish. I have no clue where you'd find info there and I doubt they have any kind of DFG office/people to give you any info.

Riley....If/Before you call, I live in California and you are UK? Maybe call me before you go to sleep that way it'll be mid-day for me.

Hi RLdiver,

I'm staying at the rather plush and out of my normal comfort zone 'Rendezvous' near Castries in the North. I've heard the best of the island / sea life can be found in the south but its a small enough island to travel round so thats not too much of a problem.

I may call you a bit closer to the time to get that advice - thanks!!!!

Did you have a good time there? Where did you stay?

We stayed at Stonefield Estate Villas which is spitting distance from the Pitons.
We had a great time at/near our resort. I was there with my wife, friend and his wife and we just never really felt safe anywhere...more for the safety of the girls. We spent a lot of time at Jalousie Plantaion. It had good diving opportunities, snorkeling, and a watersport rental right there on an awesome beach. A guy who worked the watersport rental offered to take us spearfishing and we honestly weren't sure of his intentions or the legality so we didn't go.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT