• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

starting free diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

freedive4life

Jun 16, 2001
Hello ive been reading the posts but bottom line what are the basic knowledge needed to freedive like holding my breath. ect.I dont want to go diving and never come up so i NEED to know some stuff.I can hold my breath for 2:09 it mostly 1:45. is that good. im 5'.thanks for the help guys and gals

Well I suggest you start by getting a mentor, someone experienced who can show you the ropes. If you can't do that at least pick up a book like "Freedive" by Terry Maas and David Sipperly.

Two minutes is a great breathhold on land, but in the water none of that matters.

Be aware that shallow water blackout (SWB) is the number one killer of freedivers. Athletic, competitive males under age 30 who are experienced divers are the most common victims. Some common sense pointers:

1)Finish your dive before you need to breath--if you're rushing up to get a breath, you dove too long.

2)Weight yourself so that you float at 15' (5m)--this is where you are most likely to black out.

3)Don't push yourself--stay within your comfort zone and let your body adapt gradually. You'll still see more improvement in the long run this way.

Dive safe and have fun!

Reactions: A-Z
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT