• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Startled by creatures of the sea...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hawkeye31

May 5, 2002
This aint much compared to what others see, but I was scared sh%tless today at least a half dozen times by sting rays gliding by over my head while I was laying motionless on the bottom. At the end of my dive id glide toward the surface and nearly collide with these underwater birds. After the first encounter I tried to keep a wider field of view on my ascent, but the rays kept on approaching from where I wasnt looking. Each time it happened both the ray and me would be so startled that it would flee and my heart would race. I know these rays (not sure what kind they are) have barbed tails for a reason, do you think a startled sting ray would barb a diver?

Other stories to share?

Adam

rays of light...

If you were in the So Cal area, they were probably bat rays and are harmless, unless you shove your hand in their mouth and hit'em on the back of their head with a hammer, miss and hit yourself. rofl I would have things like this occur when seemingly a school or flock of these things would come and investigate my buubles and the stuff I was strring up when collecting urchins.

Look at them as pesky and fun birds. They won't and can't hurt, but will only add to your experience.

sven

Thanks for the response.
I thought they were harmless, but wasnt sure. I had thought that the rays that had tails had them for use as defense. A buddy of mine was stung by a similar creature when he stepped on it, and I guess Ive been kinda cautious around them ever since.
Later,
Adam

Speaking of Rays

Does anyone know if electric rays pose any threat to divers? I've heard that they can stun, but not kill, but at the end of your breathhold, 15m down, stun could = kill.
twice i have been looking into dark caves with sandy floors, only to wake up the sleeping electric ray. they just flapped, stirring up the sand. gave me the fright of my life. the thing that bothers me about electric rays is that they dont flee, like stingrays tend to. they just flap and stay put. makes me wonder if they know something that i dont.
Mark

I got zapped by one while freediving for bugs on the North Coast .It came as a bit of a shock :D ,but otherwise I was ok .

Reactions: Griff
Re: Speaking of Rays

Originally posted by Griff
makes me wonder if they know something that i dont.
Mark QUOTE]

Count on it. :hmm
To get nailed by a electric ray, you're going to have to be in contact with it, as in you find yourself laying on it. Then maybe you'd get popped, otherwise you'r OK. The amount of juice they can put out will be irritating and scare you more than do you in, as when they wrap around and smother there prey, often the lobsters you're after.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT