• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static and then straight after a dynamic.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

marioslaz

Dec 14, 2016
Hello everyone,

today my training involved doing 1 minute static breath holds and then straight after as I'm in the water a 25m dynamic swim. On my second attempt, I did not feel the urge to stop and so I turned and managed to do 50m dynamic on top of the 1 min static. After a proper breath up I attempted to do more than 50m or dynamic (without static beforehand) and I couldn't go further than 50m. I find it very strange. Is it because I relax more when I do a static or maybe there's a psychological barrier of touching the wall and turning?

Thank you

Reactions: Florin Malanca
I do a similar dive in my pool - breath hold followed by underwater swim and get the same result as you. I think by doing the static first that you are not using much oxygen and your body has time to go into a strong dive reflex - then when you actually start swimming your oxygen is already being conserved, shunted from your limbs, and your heart rate lower. Whereas if you just start swimming right away you are wasting oxygen with a higher heart rate and using up more in your extremities. I find I do a better and more relaxed dive if I start with a short motionless relaxation period before moving into the dive.

Reactions: Florin Malanca
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT