• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static Apnea - my story & my questions.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
@Babyblue “the Dr. doesn’t understand- breath up is opposite of HV. - It’s to relax...” - Slow but deep breathing is in fact a form of hyperventilation, and it is also very relaxing.
Also, any deaths from doing statics were simply because the person did not have an adequate spotter, i.e. they were doing it alone. So yes, if you are pushing yourself to do better and you have the stamina to actually hold your breath to blackout - you MUST have a spotter or you could die.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorandril
So is HV freediving’s dirty little secret?

Because, if this is the case, it is a significant paradigm shift, at least from the perspective of someone like myself, an absolute beginner, but somewhat well-read. I have taken a level 1 course, read a couple books, and done lots of casual internet research. My level I course taught that:

-HV is dangerous (by hampering UTB sensitivity)

-HV is counterproductive for beginners and high performers alike bc it raises heart rate, interferes with dive-reflex, etc

-HV is an old-school trick that is now shunned bc we understand the science and danger

Furthermore, typical Internet research (often authored by respectable and well-known free divers) suggests the same attitude is commonly held within the amateur and pro community. Some of those experts would admit that HV maybe a useful training tool at times, and safe when in the hands of knowledgeable, careful, serious athletes, but nonetheless still considered irresponsible and a frowned-upon practice in recreational or competitive free diving.

It was from this perspective that my reaction to Dr Pollocks claims that “the “breathe up” is really just HV” was that “the Dr. doesn’t understand- breath up is opposite of HV. - It’s to relax...” Though, I have never witnessed a pro dive comp, to see myself. What do I know?So, maybe it IS a commonly used technique?

I can understand why seasoned pros and the community in general are reluctant to openly discuss the realities of HV, bc in the wrong hands, in the hands of a novice, Hv and water can be deadly. But when formal diving course instruction, and the general sentiment of the community at large seemingly embraces and promotes one truth, and the truth is entirely something else, for me anyway, it brings into question all the other advice and guidance I have received within the community

There is already so much conflicting information When it comes to free diving theory. But this is a very basic concept;

Is, or is not, HV a commonly used and accepted technique for rec and competitive diving ? If so, why the denial?
There are secrets and then there are secrets... especially when we talk statics

I think HV is fairly common knowledge. Not for rec freediving IMO.

Just because you can do HV doesn't mean your good at it.
You have to refine it. I am still trying to get this right.

Guys who are good at HV can do 5-9 minutes before the first contraction.

Lets be clear about what we call HV. The "classic" view of HV is huffing and puffing like you were trying to blow up an air mattress. No freediver does that - it wastes a lot of energy and is tiring. But slow relaxed deeper breathing is also HV, and can get you trouble. If you watch freedive videos it's pretty hard to tell just how much a diver is breathing up - the camera can't really see underwater and there is alot of surface distortion. But I have seen videos of divers clearly breathing very deeply. If you want practice with HV just remember the freedivers mantra - "never dive alone". For myself, the recommended "just normal breathing" does not relax me. So I breathe deeper but very slowly. I don't blow out much, but rather let the elasticity of my chest naturally push the air out. For the last 2 or 3 breaths I may blow out a bit harder - the so called "purge breaths". I think the freedive community rightfully discourages HV - beginners may misuse it and get in trouble.
There is alot of contradicting and confusing info in the freediving community. I myself personally kind of disagree with some of the accepted dogma. Use the information you get here and elsewhere as a guideline, but always keep in mind that it comes from different peoples opinions and experiences. The key is to try things out, experiment, have fun, and be safe.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT