• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

static apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

apana

Aug 22, 2004
hi im eric. im from hawaii and new to freediving. im having a problem with my breath hold. the beginning of this week i did a hold of 3 minutes and 5 seconds. today i could not get passed 2 minutes. i was wondering if the beer i had earlier might of caused a negative reaction? Or if it was my workout? did cardio and light lift session and protein shake after. sorry if i sound stupid. not achieving my previous hold has just been killing me mentally.

Everyone has good days and bad days. Try again tomorrow, and the rest of the week. Or maybe it's your "it's killing me that i am not as good today"-thought that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy..? You are new to this, give it some time.. As the good hippies said: relaaaax maaan... what's the hurry duuude?

(but of course beer and workout can affect performance too.. look around this forum and you will find several good threads (some are quite old) about diet, techniques, temperature, and mental thingies that helps/destroys statics)

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51981

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38458

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50164

Here are a few threads about statics, where you can see how/what others do.. But there are more threads out there, have fun! :)

(edit: added the links)

Last edited:
That’s completely normal.
Everyone has good and bad days.
What you need to remember is the conditions in which you achieved your 3+ min and try to reproduce to other trials.
Things that can influence a lot:
- The time between your last meal and your trial
- What you had for meal and even previous days
- Your body temperature
- The environment temperature, pressure, humidity…
- Your level of concentration or stress
- The breathing pattern and warm ups you are using for your trials, etc...

Well to be short, try to remember all the things you did previously to your good performance and try to reproduce these conditions.

And it's not everyday we can achieve our personal best.

So, don’t panic. What’s happening to you it happens to everyone.
You’re doing fine.

All the best

Be sure don't overtrain your statics, this exercise is quit exhausting for body and mind, especially the MAX attempts.

I only perform 1 or 2 max attempt a month, if I feel like it.

I focus on learning my body, try to feel what's it doing, trying to relax better, letting my mind go freely etc. For O2 I concentrate about the ammount of effort instead of the time. I do 4 or 5 breathholds in a training, on 50% second one 50% third one 70% fourth one 90% fith one 90%, where The percentage indicates the feeling when I come up. For instance 50% let me come up with FEELING that I could do twice as much.

I have my buddy record the times, and I hear them only after the whole schedule. I do not carry a watch in the water. My buddy counts down the 2 minute interval.

After 23 months I have the Idea that Freediving is like a growing proces, which cannot be forced by hard training. Hard training will only produce big or huge fallbacks (SBS, Static Burnout Syndrome, as a friend of me likes to call it), and takes much of the joys away. The joy is not in the numbers, it's in the heart.

Kars.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT