• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static Challenge

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yeah, I usually get short fast contractions, but today I was sitting in class listening to the laws of armed conflict (fun stuff :p) and timed 10 contractions from 2:00 to 2:30, and it was so much more comfortable. If I can learn to control them, that's how I'd like them to be :)

Cheers for the help!

Brad

Loopy,

It would be better if you learn to tolerate them instead of control them. That way you don't use the energy controlling the contractions and you can focus on staying relaxed.

Just a thought.

DSV

Cheers Deron :)

I'm thinking if I relax heaps anyway, it'll slow them down too...

But yeah, what's your big secret? Wal was saying you're a static gun, and by the looks of the results from Hawaii, he's not wrong :D

Cheers again,

Brad

Erik ,I start getting contractions a little earlier ; at around 3:30 . I think the are spaced a little further than your 3 sec. I try not to focus on them , so don't know for sure . What is this delaying method you mentioned ?

Yesterday, after I've red this thread, I did my second best ever in dry statics. For a months I wasn't able to break 3:30 again. Now I'm back in a game. Thank you, Erik.

My yesterday's static:

6 x 1:00 ins with a single breathe between (CO2 tolerance)
3:30 rest
2:00 residual (wanted samba but was afraid)
4:33 ins (with 20 contractions)
4:15 ins (tried packing - stupid)

My pb is 5:06.

I really don't wanna induce a samba, but I'm curious, how does one induce it willingly, like Eric Fattah?
I tried today doing 2 exhale braetholds, the first was 1:30, and the second was 2:00, both were dry, and I had about 2:00 mins rest in between, they felt on the scale of 6+ (10 being the hardest I never did).
I guess that there is more to do than just hold your braeth?
Is hyperventialtion the inducer?

actually maybe I shouldn't have posted that Erik induces a samba...cuz I really don't think you can...

if for some crazy reason you wanted to experience it (God Forbid) just hang in there until you start dancing :D ...it really comes immediately before a blackout. on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 would be unconscious, I think a samba would happen around 9.5

But then again, everyone is really different because Erik said once that someone (can't remember his name) would blackout out during static without any warning, no contractions, no samba, nothing...so I guess it really depends on the individual :confused:

Confusion

Please differentiate between two people:
Eric F (efattah) = ME
Erik Y (erik) = NOT ME (but a great guy anyway)

To induce a samba, I hyperventilate and then do an exhale static.

My definition of an 'exhale' static is a full exhale; this means that you will spend a LONG time exhaling and struggling to get all the air out. Even so, your time will depend mainly on your residual volume. You can reverse pack the air out as well.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Induced Samba

To induce a samba, I wait until a commercial, then arise from my
supine position on the sofa, and walk toward the refrigerator. By the time I am removing the Krispy Kremes , I am no longer fully cognizant of my behavior, which must be why I take so many of them each time. Later, again reclining on the sofa, I recover motor control sufficient to brush the chocolate and butter bits from my shirt.

Originally posted by Abriapnea
What is this delaying method you mentioned ?

Hey Ab, what I mean is to supress the contractions as long as possible purely by will, without any physical work. I think it was Alun who wrote about it, and I'm curious to try.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Contractions and Sambas

hi

Contractions I hate that word and I hate contractions. For me without hyperventilating they start at between 1:30 and 2:20 the most I ever held was 2 Min 10sec of contractions. With hyperventilating they start between 2:30 and 4:05. As you can see I love hyperventilating.

I have had heeps of Sambas just like Eric on exhale statics I think it is pretty easy to samba I simply hyperventilate deep and fast until im totally dizy around 3mins then exhale completely and hold, I don't even have to push that hard doing this and I will Samba. Lots of people here may think Sambaering is stupid but I don't have much brain cells to destroy anyways. (Ha Ha)

Going out spearing on the edge of GBR tomorrow. Hopefully in between spearing monster fish I will get a chance to try out my new favourite disipline in freediving of NO fins Constant ballast.

cheers

Re: Contractions and Sambas

Originally posted by ivan
Hopefully in between spearing monster fish I will get a chance to try out my new favourite disipline in freediving of NO fins Constant ballast.

That's exactly when you'll see those monsters ...:D
Hope to start my training in two days , have begun sunrise chi gong after a three year break ... feels good .

Contractions Good ?

I don't seem to get these contractions much, but when I do experience something in the thorax that I think is what people mean when they talk about contractions, it is always accompanied by a sensation in the legs that is like numbing,
or falling asleep. I think this is blood shunt - this is followed by a kind of 'second wind', or increase in comfort level. So, I welcome this contraction thing and in fact, try to induce it early on. Am I nuts or is there something to this ?

Eric F : this seems like something you would know about. Are not contractions related to other adaptions like blood shunt and bradycardia ?

Paul K.

hi

Paul your very friggin lucky if you don't feel contractions much statics would be so much more fun. When I get contractions it feels like someone is punching me. There pretty damn hard contractions.

Abri I would cry if I was trying no fins diving with no gun and a monster doggie swam past. Good luck with your training im confident that you will pass 7min wet statics soon enough especially with those 8.3L air tanks. The only training im doing is getting my very itchie trigger finger ready to plant my new slip tip into the mellon of a big doggie ha ha.

cheers

Contractions

Contractions are actually part of the hypoxia reflex (which is a subset of the diving reflex). Early attempts at breath-holding may not result in contractions, the body needs to 'remember' how to have them. A contraction's purpose is twofold 1) To force extra O2 into the blood by both circulating the air in the lungs and increasing the pressure in the lungs, and 2) to increase O2 availability to the brain by temporarily increasing cerebral blood pressure...there may be other reasons as well, but due to these reasons they definitely make you 'feel' good, which is bad because they burn lots of O2. If you resist the contractions for a really long time, you start to get light headed, and your arms and legs may start tingling and feeling ugly, and the lack of O2 to the brain will cause your heart rate to slow dramatically. Then, if you allow a contraction, your brain O2 goes up, and your heart rate goes up a bit, and you feel better in general.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Contractions

Seems, then , that there is an optimum latency to contraction, and an optimum intensity of contraction which is thereto related. Maybe the right mindset is indifference - no apprehension or effort to delay, nor any effort to induce.

Abri,

Glad to see youre getting back into
statics...its been a long time.

I also get my first contractions at about
3:15 , but I can manage to 'ride' them, for another 2 minutes or so.

I find that if you get your first contaraction,
try and bear down on it.
Dont let it shake you too much.
It helps if you push out your stomach, or tense your abs a bit to control the contractions.
After taking control of the first 5 or so contractions, I let go and then they shake me to bits...
For me , thta is the fun part....cos you are actually doing something, and not just lying there.

Check out this clip, and see how Skindiver
shakes his ass in a static. (now thats contractions !)

http://www.freediving.co.za/movies/Greg-fight.mpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ivan / Herman :cool:
I thought the best would be to tell you all , so you could keep nagging me .
Will do my fist statics on Sunday ;not expecting much , but then I don't plan to hurry things . I've always enjoyed statics and want to keep it that way .

efattah :

I've just started my chi gong sunrise program again and it reminded me of something that used to happen .
After my closing exercise I used to be able to see every leaf around me outlined in light , like a Kirlian photo , for a minute or so .
What gives ?
I never experienced this when doing pranayama .
Any ideas ?

Strange Lights

I also used to see lights around people and plants, but it only lasted for a short while, and it went away when I stopped practicing. We should probably take this discussion off the forum since it's a bit off topic.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT