• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static Methodology

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JasonWelbourne

Aug 17, 2004
When a person says I can do a 5:00 dry static, what exactly does this mean?

Are world records set by people why hyperventilate and pack by method, or is that frowned on at the professional level? I know that I have read some pages that indicate that some professional free divers do no beleive in hyperventilation.

Personally, I can do a 3:00 dry static without any hyperventilation. I will decide to do the static, load my timer program, take a 2 to 3 deeper than normal breaths and breathe in maximally and hold. With hyperventilation, I can hold for 4:00, although I will easily do better with further attempts. (I don't try hyperventilation much anymore since it has made me feel really sick a few times).

I think this might help.
http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/313/17

In competition you are allowed 45 minutes in the water to prepare for static. The total preparation time is much longer for most of us. I like to do six short holds before getting in the water and four after. A few of the best need almost no prep. All the tables (for training) that I've seen are based on eight holds. Hyperventilation can speed up the prep but has a few side effects and greatly increases the chance of black out.
Aloha
Bill

I'll like to be "Devil's Advocate" about the hyperventilation.
I think that all freedivers hyperventilate.
What is Hyperventilation= A respiratory volume over tidal volume, so any time we made a deep inhalation, in fact we are doing hyperventilation.
Hyperventilation is not the same than tachypnea (fast respiratory movements) it's just more ventilation.
So, you can make hyperventilation with tachypnea and also hyperventilation with normal respiratory rate.

If you call it quantatative then everything gets real fuzzy in the absence of measuring equipment which most people lack. I guess what I am asking is as follows...

Are you telling me that a human being can hold his breath for x minutes with no/minimal preparatory ventilation technique to optimize co2/o2/tlc?

Or in another form, in order to acheive X:XX static what preparatory technique do you all require and what underlying change is accomplished through this technique?

I am reading the article for which the link was posted but I don't understand how 45 minutes of ventilation / practice holds do anything for the process more than mere ventilation would...

Is it a scientific fact that proper practice breath holds can increase final breath hold capacity in the course of 1 session? The idea of that is amazing to me... I would have thought that the point of diminshing returns would begin as soon as you began to hold your breath for the first time during a session. If this is so, then is it merely a psychological trend, or is there an underlying physiological process that is responsible for this effect? I will keep reading. Maybe the answer is already in my lap.

Originally posted by JasonWelbourne
Is it a scientific fact that proper practice breath holds can increase final breath hold capacity in the course of 1 session?

It works for everyone I know! I don't know what is the actual process behind it though.

Lucia

Works for me too, I don't know about the changes that occur over the course of the session but I just feel much more at ease.

Specially after doing static tables that I increase the breath hold time gradually my contractions start a little later during each successive hold.

Maybe its just in my head and there is no physiological change but like I said, I just feel more at ease after several practice holds.

Daniel

There are, some good physiology reviews that explain this.

But the most accepted is the splenic contraction, after some breat-holds we have splenic contraction that increase the Haematocrit, this will explain why we feel better after some breath-holds.
Of course there is more about the cold tolerance, brain activity, but not strong evidence by now

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT