• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

static tables

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The111

Shallow Water Whiteout
May 29, 2004
I've seen static tables mentioned before, and even found some interactive thing somewhere that was supposed to be a static table I think, but honestly I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it. From the name, I would infer that it is just a training schedule to guide you through regular static practice. But the "tables" I looked at confused me. Maybe I'm a moron, maybe I'm lazy? :)

Anyone have a short description of what a static table is and how to use it? I searched for info on here but I found more stuff that was over my head...

Hiya,

A table is just a series of (usually) 8 breathholds with either increasing hold times or decreasing rest times.

Do a search on the forum, there is alot of threads on this topic, you can get a nice set of interactive tables online but cant remember the URL.

I'm just getting into those static tables and I wanted to know if doing much more repititions than 8 can potentially be harmfull (overtraining??). It took me 19 minutes to do the 8 holds but I still felt good so I kept going for another 20 minutes with the same breath hold time and rest time.

Basicaly what I'm asking is if I should increase my breath hold or just keep things as they are and do more holds?

Thanks in advanced!

matrixed82, I would increase the hold time rather then the amount of holds.

again, do a search as you can download a great interactive set of tables, makes it easy to do!

cheers

matrixed82, I would increase the hold time rather then the amount of holds.

again, do a search as you can download a great interactive set of tables, makes it easy to do!

cheers

thanks for the info guys,

those tables really help, after doing table A, the one with increasing breath hold I beat my old PB by 1:20. :D

Although that increase probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was really relaxed, not reading the forum during breath holds and I kept my eyes closed instead of watching the seconds go by.

I'm also pretty new to freediving and i used a table that i found on the net somewhere for a few days now. (Now programed my own one where i have more options).
The effect of table training is amazing!
I increased my breathhold time from 2:35 (very uncomfortable) to 3:55 (comfortable) within 5 days.
It's also interresting to see that the last breatholds are the most easiest... even if you increase the breathold-times in each step.

Yeh, I finally did the tables last night. Tied my PB (3:30) on the last breath-hold. Am positive I can beat it tonight.

Having sound available with the tables is really awesome. I was not looking forward to sitting in front of my PC staring at the screen for 30 minutes - it would be boring and the lack of mental occupation would make the statics more uncomfortable. But with the sound, I am able to just play video games (UT2K4!) while doing the whole tables, just listening for the cues telling me what to do. Having my mind occupied makes the apnea more comfortable, but the game does make my adrenaline run sometimes. Which is bad, but is also kind of good because I have to train myself to stay calm when I want to panic - sort of similar to CW dives which is the main reason I'm doing static, to make my CW better.

Reactions: Tommy Engfors
Originally posted by The111
Yeh, I finally did the tables last night. Tied my PB (3:30) on the last breath-hold. Am positive I can beat it tonight.

Well that was easy enough! Ok, it was a bit hard. But new PB of 4:00!!! I am a man of my word. :D

Reactions: naiad
Those "Interactive" static tables rock!! I just found them now and added them to my traning list, hopefully this can increase my breathe-holds to the times i would like! Thanks Roy, have some karma!

Sometimes you can't help but rise your eyebrows...

I am fan of the Unreal Tournament series. Didn't realise one could play UT and hear the table at the same time... Now I can combine fun with contractions!

Thanks Mr 111 ! :)

Reactions: naiad and The111
Originally posted by Tommy Engfors
I am fan of the Unreal Tournament series. Didn't realise one could play UT and hear the table at the same time... Now I can combine fun with contractions!
I just started playing, appropriately, under the name Apneist. I usually play AS or ONS. Don't have much time to play so am probably only on 30 minutes a day when doing tables. When I did my 4 min PB the other night I was bragging to everyone in the server about it and of course they all thought I was insane. :)

Don't thank me though, thank the people who made the wonderful tables WITH SOUND. That is the key. I was planning on starting tables for a long time but was dreading the boredom (and boredom makes it harder too). I tried a few times with nothing to occupy my mind and was getting uncomfortable and unmotivated and simply giving up around 90 seconds or so, pathetic. Watching TV has been suggested, but that is still not as good as doing something ACTIVE with your mind, plus I'd be apt to watch the Simpsons, as suggested, and I'd most likely laugh. Before UT, the best way for me to relax during static was while driving, but that obviously was not a good solution and I couldn't push myself far at all. Now I have the perfect solution. My muscles are all relaxed and my mind is occupied, maybe even more than in a dive. I guess my biggest risk is BOing and smashing my face on the desk. :) But when I go for a max I back away from the game during the last 10 contractions or so and give the breath hold my undivided attention (excruciating pain at that point too).

Anyway, enjoy. :) What name do you play under?

EDIT: Funny thing, I just started playing this Temple of Trials map where you have to get through all these Indiana Jones type challenges and I keep drowning. While holding my breath of course. :)

Doing tables makes a huge difference to my statics - at first I didn't want to, but now I think it's the best training for me!

The games sound like fun.....

Lucia

Reactions: Tommy Engfors
The111,

I will look out for Apneist if I am ever one the same server. At the moment however it is unlikely as I am playing UT2003, not the new UT2004 (which I didn't even know was released yet).

Also, I have sort of stopped playing online as I found the boots have more personality than most human opponents. When I did play, it was under the name 'Anal Intruder' (don't ask).

A note regarding doing the tables when playing a game (if others want to try):
Sometimes, at least on my machine, the sound didn't intialize properly when UT was running. I am using Win98SE and a built in soundship (standard AC97 or whatever they call the chipset). If anyone else is about to try this, make sure the table speach gets through before launching the game. I ran MP3 songs while testing the table and when that worked fine, I just stopped Winamp (the MP3 player) and launched UT2003. Worked great. From now on the boredom of doing tables is no more! Now if only weightlifting at the gym could be solved in a similar fashion...

Originally posted by The111
IEDIT: Funny thing, I just started playing this Temple of Trials map where you have to get through all these Indiana Jones type challenges and I keep drowning. While holding my breath of course. :)

Ah... the irony... :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT