• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

static training frequency

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How often do you train static apnea tables

• Every day

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 4-5 days a week

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 2-3 days a week

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • once a week

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Never! The real training is on sea depths. Just freedive

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

BlueIcarus

New-born freediver
Aug 1, 2003
How often do you train static tables?
I've felt that my best personal frequency
is just once a week!! If I do it more often
I just stuck at the gains (i.e: no gains or even
some decreasing performance).
I was wondering it this is just normal, because
if have seen some recommendations about doing O2 table a day and then CO2 table the next... so they are suggesting to train static nearly every day!!

Thanks dudes!

hi

Mate I also only do statics about once a week sometimes only once every 2 weeks.

I tried doing them every day but also found that my performance would slowly decrease.

cheers

I went from not at all to 4-5 days a week.

I am not sure yet which works best for me. All I know is that I am stuck at 4:51 and I want five minutes! :head

Part of the problem with training every day is time. Doing negatives, instead of full breath statics, has really cut down the amount of time that it takes.

I am open for any suggestions on a training time-table to be most efficent with my time. I also make it to the gym to swim everyday and wouldn't want to give that up just to train static tables- unless it makes a BIG difference.;)

Jon

I reached my pb after daily training for 3 weeks. Andy LeSauce also used to say that he needed about 3 weeks of hard statics to reach a pb.

However, daily statics require that you eat tons of antioxidants and get tons of rest. Otherwise, you'll get worse.

Martin Stepanek used to train for a max attempt every other day.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

After a good review of the log and three PB's in two weeks, I can tell you what it takes for a fat old geezer. The week before trials for the Pacific Cup, I was very sick and lost my peak. It took over a year to improve my static times. The sessions alternate between O2 and CO2, and last 45 minutes to 1 hour+. About half the time, I do a seven at the end, most of them would not pass the judges even when I don't sit up. 99% of the static training is dry.
I did one session per week last fall, 1 1/4 per week in winter and spring and two per week this summer. During this period we also did short ocean sessions 1 1/2 times per week (mostly target diving) and add a dozen pool sessions (no static) this summer. For aerobic training, I ride a bike four to five hours per week at 70% of max, with a few hills.
Depending on how this Nov. event plays out, I may go for a peak with an every other day static routine followed by an easy aerobic workout. For anyone that hasn't been doing statics regularly for a year or more I would advise two O2 tables to one CO2 table and a regular schedule that you can maintain for a long time. One of the best teachers in France said something about doing it every week for five years.

hi

Bill and Eric is it necessary to do these static tables or whatever they are. I have never done a table in my life but my pb was steadily increasing until the lsat 6months where Im stuck at 6:30. Is the table going to make an increase of 30sec :hmm

cheers

Andrew
I guess it depends on what you're doing now. There's really only one way to find out.
Aloha
Bill

in my experience, i found that i hit my best times after a few weeks of almost daily training - just as Eric said earlier.
i used to use the static tables when i first started, and rarely did max efforts. they're fine, to a point. eventually i found that i just didn't progress further, and i was stuck around 5'30". then i decided to stop using the tables and simply developed my own personal warm-ups (almost by trial and error) before doing max statics almost daily... result: my times shot up!

the tables were actually holding me back! i would only recommend tables to people who are starting off with static.
now i never do statics, because i eventually came to realise what a stupid and pointless activity it really is!.... controversial maybe, but that's what i think... :)

hi

Alun like you I have developed my own method for statics which has worked till now, If the tables didnt get you past 5:30 then I wont bother looking at it. I dont have time to do statics properly anymore anyway :(

cheers

now i never do statics, because i eventually came to realise what a stupid and pointless activity it really is!....

Alun - can you expand a bit more on that? This is a common thought outside the freediving community, but I think less so within it. I'm interested to know your opinion more about the 'stupid' side ( pointless is a bit more subjective ). I'm assuming you don't mean stupid from the point of view of say, doing wet statics without supervision.

I suppose what concerns me, is what unknown damage might be happening for repeated blackouts. Opinions are significant ( to me ) because I'm not aware of any solid scientific research that has been done into this.

I've wandered off-topic with this line of questioning, so apologies for that.

My personal best ( after training for about 9 months ) was doing a dry static one lunchtime. No particular lead-up to it, but my weekly training pattern is about 3-4 apnea walks per week, with one wet and one dry static in the same week. The dry I normally do as a C02 table. Apart from the 'freak' PB, I don't seem to be improving much though. I've noticed that I do better times earlier in the day. I think Eric makes a significant point about rest and antioxidants, and is something I intend to experiment with.

Alun - your comments will be appreciated. TIA. :)

Mark

spending a few hours a week pushing myself to the point of losing consciousness just to get a new static PB is not my idea of fun. i can think of better things to do with my time - like diving!
i did static when i started freediving because everyone else did, and i assumed that it helped my freediving. now i'm absolutely certain that it did nothing to improve my diving. i think training static just makes you good at static - that's all. i only hold my breath in water, when diving.

Reactions: tuomo
hi

Alun totally agree with you in that Statics do nothing for depth. My spearfishing depth hasnt changed from when I could do a 4min static to 6:30.

However I like the excitment of new pbs but tg=hey become very rare as you get better and eventually so rare that it is not worth doing it much anymore.

cheers

Yes, it's a fair point, albeit a personal one. I don't suppose anyone actually enjoys the last part of a pushed static. Personally, I enjoy the peacefulness of the early stages of a static.

Also, for anyone doing competitive freediving, then there's a lot more significance to doing static training.

I can see there might not be so much attraction to static training if you are 'soul' diving or spearfishing.

How has that affected your statics? Are you doing htem instead of statics? Are you doing them in a pool or a lake?

I will do a few of them at the end of my pool work out to stretch things out. I also do a few of them when I first start my day of diving. It is amazing how fast everything kicks in when you do them.

Jon

I do not practice statics at all, so I cannot say if they are affected. All my dives are done in a quarry with a line and a buddy so they are safe and gradual in depth increases.
Jim

Jon, I've been doing statics off and on for 3 seasons now, and much to my surprise, realised last week while diving, that the week or two of apnea walking made a significant impact on the bottom time. Most of the dives were 2:00 and 2:30. (2:30's with the scooter). It's just hard to time a practice session at night because it needs to be a couple of hours or more after eating dinner. I still manage to get in 3 or 4 twenty minute static sessions a week, but the apnea walking seemed to really make the difference. Now if I can just stick to it over the winter, without the motivation of the weekend dives.

Jim

I do 'commuting apnea walks' each day on the way to work. I get into the last underground train carriage of my final leg of the journey, and go into an apnea walk when the train stops at my station. This gives me a set distance each day.

Only concerns are the free radicals I take in from the pollution down there, and getting arrested by the London Transport police if a fellow commuter misinterprets what I'm doing when I start packing.....:)

Reactions: donmoore
My vote was for 'never', although I do take a shot at em once in a while :).

I never even thought to attempt such a thing until I bumped into the topic on this forum.

Last year my pb was 3 min. I dove for a few months....tried again - 4 min. Dove for a few months....tried again - 5 min. Dove for a few months....tried again - 5:30. Got 6 last night.

I've never followed any training programs, just discovered tricks to relax/breathup/endure. I admire those of you who train so often, because I find doing statics painfully boring :( . I've tried reading a book while I do em, but I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Ted

Originally posted by unirdna
I admire those of you who train so often, because I find doing statics painfully boring :( . I've tried reading a book while I do em, but I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
Read my post in the beginner forum about doing statics while playing video games. Cures boredom perfectly! :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT