• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

staying longer underwater

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MISTAITI

Jun 30, 2004
I am new to freediving and trying to find out the best breathing routine that I could use to maximize my bottom time.
appreciate your input and advise.

Hi Marwan, how goes it?

For the benefit of other beginners if you know this already, I would recommend a simple breathup of deep and slow(especially the exhale), and for a time of at least twice your average bottom time. And dont forget to concentrate 100% on the breathing. The purpose of a breathup is not just to oxygenate thew blood and remove excess CO2, but just as importantly, to relax and concentrate the mind.

To start looking for a breathup that would maximise bottom time might lead your into the danger zone of over-ventilation/purge breathing/hyperventilation. These might increase your perceived bottom time(comfort level) but will significantly increase the risk of shallow water blackout.

Rather look to increase bottom time by improving duckdiving and finning techniques, CO2 tolerance, hypoxia tolerance, mental relaxation techniques. and learn to relax the body 100% when you reach the bottom.
cheers

Bevan

Last edited:
I am holding my breath for 15 seconds every 90 seconds while I am running at 10 kilometers/hour on the treadmill.
Does this improve my breath holding ability,I feel that it does.
Is it harmful in any way?

Appreciate getting a reply from who ever that knows....

yes, that will be quite effective CO2 and lactate tolerance training.

it shouldnt be dangerous unless you blacked out and fell off. i think this would be unlikely but you would be the best judge of that.

though a possible risk for someone of 'middle age' :) might come from elevated blood pressure (due to breatholding). possibly check with your GP that you dont suffer from hypertention.

also, i would recommend supplimenting with antioxidants(vitamin C, E, beta carotene, selenium) to offset the stress to your body which is caused by the free radicals the apnea is producing.

b

sorry, thought that one was universal. also heared it called 'water entry', and by some other name(forget) about as silly as 'duckdiving'. it's the start of the dive, when the body goes from horizontal and floating, to vertical and submerged.

bevan

ohh ok, yea i know what you're talking about, i didnt know it was called duck. Thanks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT