• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Staying warm in winter gear-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samray

Apr 22, 2007
Hello community and greetings from Saskatchewan, Canada. For those who dive in colder climes, do you have any tips on how to avoid the chilliness of the lube needed to put on a free diving suit? Has anyone actually pre-heated their lube mix or have something that is not so chilly? Honestly it is the worst part of gearing up after Sept when the days get cooler...but Sept is some of the best diving in our lakes. Thx for your insights.

I dive with 5 c temp in winter time in Italy and in the Uk,.I find using talcum powder in my socks and 7mm suit works great only after two hours i do feel a little chill in the hands i swim rapid to heat up ! as i do this i feel better then i am able to recommence looking for winter seabass in various depths the other difficulty i encounter is staying warm while i await in a sniper mode for the seabass .its a plus if the sun appears and heats my back of the suit it realy helps alot ,.You could wear a vest of nerophrein under the suit i hope we could better the problem ,.I use a cressi scorfano 7mm its good for me i spend up to 4 hours in the sea of 5 c i may try some heat cream this winter as i had in the past years ago found this a little helpfull when i was poor enough to own a five mm suit ,.I hope you have more luck than me

Reactions: samray
I dive with 5 c temp in winter time in Italy and in the Uk,.I find using talcum powder in my socks and 7mm suit works great only after two hours i do feel a little chill in the hands i swim rapid to heat up ! as i do this i feel better then i am able to recommence looking for winter seabass in various depths the other difficulty i encounter is staying warm while i await in a sniper mode for the seabass .its a plus if the sun appears and heats my back of the suit it realy helps alot ,.You could wear a vest of nerophrein under the suit i hope we could better the problem ,.I use a cressi scorfano 7mm its good for me i spend up to 4 hours in the sea of 5 c i may try some heat cream this winter as i had in the past years ago found this a little helpfull when i was poor enough to own a five mm suit ,.I hope you have more luck than me
Many thx for the suggestion

When it's chilly out I usually put my suit on in the shower before I leave home. The distance to my usual dive sites in 4-12 miles, so not long. If I have to drive further, I take a cooler of hot water. I soak my suit in the hot water right before putting it on, and after the dive I use the hot water to warm my hands and then get a quick rinse with the rest of the hot water.

I dive all winter long in the lakes around munich. Temps are around 4C. As I have a 30min drive to my usual divesite I put on pants, socks and undervest at home. Turning the car´s heating to the max, i feel really warm when i arrive. Just have to put on jacket and gloves and be ready. I use "slippy wetsuit lubricant" with warm water. I can absolutly recommend that, because its economical, odorless und neutral to the skin, much better than soapwater. What lube do you use?

Hehe, having that warm water around might be handy for those that wear exterior lined suits. I remember seeing a video of a guy in Canada peeling his frozen suit off a park bench after having taken it off!

I use warm water mixed with conditioner in a spray bottle for lubricating my Salvimar Nebula 7mm this helps and I also take a teaspoon of Coconut oil before every dive as this ups your body temperature. No more than one spoonful though as you will have steam coming out of your ears lol.

Coconut Oil

Known for its antiviral properties and healing effects on skin and hair, it's also been proven to speed up your metabolism, boosting your core temperature in the process. The magic is in the conversion of all those saturated fats (those are the good ones), which coconut oil offers in abundance.

I take one teaspoon of pure coconut oil after I have put on my wetsuit, walk to the seashore and dive in.

Reactions: jochen.marx
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT