• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sten 100CM

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mighty kc

Dec 23, 2010
Hello,

I purchased A 100CM "Super Sten" last year, and a couple of single flopper shafts (8MM spring stainless) as the shaft that comes with it is not the best for our conditions in the Northern Gulf. My question is, these shafts extend about 1' from the end of the gun. Will this effect the performance? I know that this is common on the rail guns that I previously used, and I never had an issue with it, but all of the photos of pneumatics that I have seen shown the spear extending only a few inches from the end of the gun.

Thanks for your input

Keith

Must be tricky to load with a long spear - long stretch & bendy spear?

No not really. I put the handle on my foot and the loader on the end of the spear. (I am tall with long arms), and I have it pumped up to the max. pumps per the manual. The shaft is 8mm so it doesnt bend easily. I have shot some snapper and amberjacks with it, but nothing over 30lbs. I hope to put it to the test this year with the gulf opened back up.

Well I think the main reason for only having a short overhang is about bending & stretching?
A lot of members on here use dry barrel air guns with 6.5 or 7mm spears = a very powerful & long range shot!
I am guessing you prefer the 8mm spear due to the size of fish you hunt?
Have you considered converting your gun to a dry barrel system?

The 8mm shaft does not bend as easily when the fish wraps it around the structure on the oil platforms. We do get some nice fish sometimes, (usually big Cobia or Barracuda) but most of the fish are various types of snapper and range from 2 to 25 lbs. The scuba divers shoot some big stuff, but they are usually very deep. I am not familiar with the dry barrel system, but if it is a great improvement, I am definately interested.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT