• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

strange contractions, why?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Guss

Sep 10, 2002
A friend of mine have a great problem. He was easily free diving and spear fishing for the last 2 years in between 15 and 20 m deep. No any difficulty or added problem. But now, in the last 2 weeks he was not able to dive more than 5 meters deep because of the appearance of a very estrange contractions in his chest. When this contractions appear at the depth of 4 or 5 m he is not able to continue diving and he must return back to the surface. No more of . He is very concerned about it.

We are not able to find the reason for that estrange situation. Contractions arrive to his chest and he is not able to control it, the contraction come and the stress remain in his chest without no any kind of relax, so he is not able to stay underwater for longuer than 15 - 20 seconds of apnea, something ridiculous for his former capacity.

Please has somebody suffered this disconcerting situation before or have some information about it?.

Thanks very much in advance.
Guss.

Last edited:
I have never experienced this condition. But could your friend actually be experiencing contraction in his esophagus? Many people can have contractions, much like muscle spasm in their esophagus that can get so strong, that people believe that they are experiencing a heart attack. Sounds like a good question for a doctor!

Never heard of such a problem.
What kind of contractions are they? the same most divers get when doing static apnea?

I'd say you have to do a few experiments to pinpoint what exactly causes the contractions (or you already have) and share the conclusions with us, maybe somebody could think of something.
Use a line and just do a couple of free immersions, discover if it's depth or time in apnea that triggers it.
As well as if it happens also when he dives upright (head up).

That's what I can think of right now.
Don't give up....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT