• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Strange DNF vs. Static

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mz3guy

Aug 4, 2018
So I am relatively new to freediving, and I have been training by doing CO2 tables once a day for the past two weeks. I have always been in extremely good shape and have always been able to swim 25 yards underwater with some difficulty. To get to the point of this post, when I do dry static holds, my max hold is 1:45, but when I do DNF (in pool) my max distance is 50 yards. I feel I could probably swim 75 yards underwater, but I have felt 50 is a good limit for now. However, when browsing these forums and gathering information on freediving throughout the internet in general, I've noticed most people who have the same DNF as me tend to have a much higher static hold time. Can someone explain this to me?

Static performance and DYN or DNF is not always correlated. Static breath holds come in two phases relaxation and struggle phase. It's likely your relaxation phase could improve based on your max being 1:45. Having a higher co2 tolerance will help during the struggle phase. Just because you have a long static does not mean you can swim long distances or dive deep.

DNF and DYN performance can be effected by numerous variables. Being technically efficient could mean you could swim the same distances as someone with more co2 tolerance than you because you use less energy. You may be able to swim longer during the relaxation phase. If you're not very relaxed or efficient it's likely moving while holding your breath will bring the onset of contractions earlier.

I definitely fell into this category. I never did dynamic training until recently. I was struggling with 75m bi fins. Despite the fact I had a 4:30 static and could dive 50+m. Now that I've been training some pool I'm able to do 75m dynamic fairly effortlessly. My technique has improved and my relaxation in the early stages of my swim is better. My contractions are now coming later. My co2 tolerance hasn't changed much but my relaxation and efficiency in the water has improved tremendously.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the reply, I think just being in the water enables me to relax that much more! Since you brought up contractions, I have never got them. When I do a 50m DNF I do feel quite a bit of lactic acid build up in my legs and arms, and quite a strong urge to breathe, but no contractions. Should I go farther?

Do you ever get contractions? If you're not sure try an empty lung breath hold if they don't come after that you're one of the lucky ones. If you come up and don't feel hypoxic, have no blue lips, you don't samba then you can probably go further. Also do you have safety in the water with you? If not, I would never suggest pushing your limits or even doing dynamic in general.

Generally in any sport the way to increased performance is small incremental added stress. Only doing manageable increases in performances followed by periods of rest. Be careful not to over train, in freediving the symptoms of over training are very subtle. Doing co2 tables 7 days a week is definitely not sustainable for long periods of time. Build in complete rest days. You need to give your body time to recover from the free radicals which build up in your body. Avoid burnout at all costs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I do not ever get contractions. I tried an empty lung hold, and I did not experience any contractions. I do have safety in the water with me, I have a competent buddy also working on DNF (or DN with fins) and we stagger our sets. We also inform the lifeguards about what we are doing.
Thank you very much for your responses, they have been quite informative.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT