• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

strange pain above my skull ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hypoxiajunkie

May 14, 2004
Wierd. I am doing my diving thing. On my third dive to the bottom, I get down to maybe five meters. And something at the top of my skull (near the forehead) in my body goes "snap". And: OUCH! Felt exactly like someone flicked my skull with a knuckle!

Fearing the worst, I immediately surfaced and came into shore.

Determined that I had not broken a blood vessel. I figure it was my bones reacting to the change in pressure. Which is wierd, that is the first time that has ever happened.

It also may have been a temperature compensation. I cold water dive without a suit. I don't think so though.

Anyway, I should read up about strokes. I certainly don't want one. This was undoubtedly due to pressure changes but I have never ever heard of aynthing like this happening.
It feels like i have a welt on top of my head now. Yet I hit nothing down there! WTF? Anyway it is not red, just sore and a little swollen.

Note: I do not compensate for pressure because I don't wear a mask, don't dive very deep (5 or 6 meters) and flood my sinuses as I dive (i.e. i get lots and lots of water up my nose). But this wasn't my ears popping (they never do, may have a perforated eardrum). Rather it was like two plates in my skull popping?!

Ideas?

Thanks! Yeah, i think it is cold related. After I woke up from my nap I noticed the back of my throat was a little raw. I am usually very healthy and kill invading microbes dead.

I also noticed this forehead pressure yesterday at the pool. But then I thought it was due to the sudden rapid change in pressure, since I dive from a platform to 4m depth rather than duckdiving.

Still, any other comments are greatly appreciated!

Oh, the world record in static apnea is apparently now 8 minutes 12 seconds. I live in Germany. Now I know why my diving partner was absent yesterday, he was probably visiting the record holder.

Cold definitely provokes sinus pain in some situtions. Head pain can be caused by excessive exposure to the sun before the dive also. If you use Nasonex be careful. There is not nuch feeling in the nostrils and you can end up emptying the whole tube into your nose before you realise it :D :D

Baur

Originally posted by Baur
Cold definitely provokes sinus pain in some situtions. Head pain can be caused by excessive exposure to the sun before the dive also. If you use Nasonex be careful. There is not nuch feeling in the nostrils and you can end up emptying the whole tube into your nose before you realise it :D :D

Baur

Yeah, i actually don't use medicines, so that is not a problem. I'm under a lot of (semi unresolved) stress at the moment which is as usual a source of illness. I did not think of the temperature differential (12° c surface, 4° c at depth). I did not get much exposure to the sun though. It did seem i had a lot of leftover chlorine in my head from yesterday's swimming.

I was just trying to figure out if this was permanent, or somehow related to reaching a depth where i would have to equalize - which I've never had to do before. As long as its not a burst blood vessel I am very happy.

All the days are not the same, for the mind or for the body. Could be that you had been coming down with a cold or fighting it off, or lack of sleep, or stress as you say that you take to the water.

What helps me to "zone out" is just sitting by the water in silence (buddy must cease to mumble at all costs!) for 20-30 mins doing a couple of light dry statics followed by series of compensations, before I begin to gear up.

Safe Diving

Baur

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT