• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stream snorleking

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pezman

We pee deep. Ew!
Sep 24, 2002
I spent the holidays in the State College, PA area. It is cold here this time of year -- generally below freezing. As a result, most of the local dive-able bodies of water are frozen over. However, these lakes generally have some open-water areas, so that's where I went. The reason that these areas are open is that they are adjacent to small streams. Evidently the motion of the water is sufficient to keep the surface clear of ice well after the rest of the lake freezes.

At any rate, as a result of swimming next to these streams, I ended up wandering up them. They are not deep -- in fact, I sometimes had to scrape along on my belly in areas that were less tham a foot deep. However, the dive was surprisingly ninteresting. The limestone creeks up here offer excellent visibility this time of year (20+ feet) and you can actually see some wildlife, despite the cold water. In the really slow water, there are lethargic newts that occasionally swim up for air. Native trout are huddled in eddies in the faster water, and they will let you approach to within a foot or so. It was a world away, which is what I'm generally after when I freedive -- so it was a good dive.

Well, Freediving it ain't, but it was cool nonetheless. Every now and then I had to swim under a log and that was pretty much the only opportunity for apnea (except when I jumped in and the almost-0' C water took my breath away).

I'll be sure to get some shots next time. Has anyone else done anything like this?

mike

I used to get some diving in the mountain creeks when I lived in N. Carolina...there were pockets where the water would get to 15-20ft. Great during the winter and summer but in the spring the place was class 3 to 5 rapids with the snow melt.

Sounds like a blast! I haven't done anything like that but I plan to do so this spring and summer. Unfortunatley I don't have a suit that will handle the winter temps.
I can't wait for spring!!

I used to snorkle in little spring fed creeks in the Florida panhandle. You could see all kinds of wildlife above and below the water. There were also a lot of artifacts dating from back before white people ever came into that area and fossilized bones and teeth from different critters.:)

Salmo salar

I've done a lot of diving in FW. Especially in the river where there can be hours worth of sights to see. The best time in Scotland is when the big spring salmon are making their way upstream. Great to watch, but the ghillies tend to get annoyed with you - even when they know you aren't poaching.

Been kicked out of the river the last two times that I was there....swines.....

:(

Found a nice, new Danforth style anchor hung up in the reef yesterday. Bet whoever lost that was P.O.ed.

Ben Gowland,
sounds like the same effect I had in the mountain trout streams of Montana ... They thought I was scaring the fish.. shoot, the fish were posing for pictures.

I had the opportunity to do something like this. One of the nearby rivers is very low at the moment, so I've taken the opportunity to see what's there. I spent four hours just drifting along looking at the crayfish, bullfrog tadpoles, bass, and other fish I couldn't identify. It's so much fun that I managed to interest a couple of people in going with me, so now I have buddies! Like you said Pezman, it was a world away.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT