• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

streeter clinic?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
Has anyone been to the tanya streeter clinic? just wondering, but I would really like to do the performance class but the finances dont match with the trip to miami at this time....however the trip to texas looks feasable. any input would be appreciated.

I was in one of Tanya's clinics last December and I had a great time! She knows her stuff and has lots of enthusiasm! I will take another one someday! I only wish it had been a four day clinic instead of two!
Rhonda

Reactions: Erik
tanya's clinic

rigdvr,

I'll be attending the Austin clinic this weekend and will let you know what I think.

Scott

I'm interested in the clinic aswell I will also look forward to your review.
Are you taking the beginner or the advance clinic or maybe the pro level?
Can you ask her what it would take to lengthen the clinic if a student wanted a longer instruction time, like a 4day instead of weekend clinic?

Thank You for your future review

Blade Runner

what light is he talking about that came on in his mask when he hit the 30 foot mark on his deeper dive? Anderson York that is.

t's clinic

i think one main point that should be gotten accross here is that any clinic should be thought of as a tool and not a crutch. if you think going to a clinic is going to make you a better diver, you're wrong. only YOU are going to make yourself a better diver. :cool:

the clinics are going to make you more aware of certain things and certain paths that can take you towards your goals. tanya's clinic is only two days, and when i went, it only had about an hour in open water.

it's taken me many months to put what she tought me into practice. i felt she had a lot to offer, but the ability range of the students could dampen your learning curve if you're a quick learner or more advanced diver. i think the best thing would be to actually email her. she's very open and friendly and will tell you exactly how it is. she doesn't tend to sugar coat things. ;) paul's a good one to talk to, too.

if people are on a critical budget, i'd recommend taking kirk's saturday safety session. i think it's about $90 or something and would make sense if it's in your area. this is especially good if you're into spearfishing.

if you're up for more of a water workout, trace malin offers a course up in a quarry in pennsylvania. i've heard nothing but good things about him. and after having spent a half a day on the phone with him, i've realized he knows his stuff and takes a very active approach towards teaching. i'm trying to figure out a way to pay him a visit soon.

but, if you're into freediving as a sport by itself, i'd definitely recommend tanya's course. i learned more things than i ever cared to know about freediving. :D i know it'll all apply somewhere to my breatholding, but right now my spearfishing is focusing less and less on technique and more and more on physical condition and stamina.

i hope this helps. if you'd like to know more about what i'd mentioned, feel free to email me.

later days,
anderson

ps. bladerunner.... that light was just a small light attatched to my mask strap. it faced forward and when the pressure was great enough, the bulb was pressed against its battery contact which turned it on. and, they're settable to turn on at whatever depth you want. pretty cool, but pretty common. ;)

Hey sorry Anderson if that was stupid question about the light, I'm getting started so I didn't relize that was common bit of freediving equipment. I need to find one those lights,for where I dive.

BladeRuuner

br, i didn't mean it like that. it's a great concept and would have been a neat thing to have invented, but it's pretty "common" now. maybe not common to the majority of the population, but common, as in.. already developed and economized. :D

remember... knowledge is not genetic. ;) it's gotta come from somewhere, so don't worry about thinking you're posing stupid questions. you're not.

Update

I just returned from Tanya's clinic this past weekend and thought that is was great. Aside from these forums (thanks deeperblue), I have had no freediving training and I learned so much from the clinic. Tanya is a great teacher and motivator, as every single student hit their PB's in static and in depth. Class size is limited to six (we only had five the first day) and so there was alot of personal attention. Having Tanya looking me in the eyes and encouraging me I kicked up from my pb depth made it seem very easy.

Tanya and her husband, Paul, hosted myself and two other students at their home for the weekend (even cooking our meals). I found the "extracurricular" teaching to be just as useful as the sessions and getting to know Paul and Tanya was just a real added benefit to the overall experience. Very nice people.

In summary, I had a great time, learned a great deal and achieved all of the goals that I had for the weekend. Highly recommended.

Scott

p.s. bladerunner, Tanya said she would gladly put on a longer clinic if the logistics could be worked out and the demand was there. You can e-mail her through her website at http://www.redefineyourlimits.com

Last edited:
Tanya's clinic

That's great Scott you came back and shared your clinic experience. I was looking forward to your review of the clinic. I had few question to ask, would you be willing to answer a few questions?

p.s. I appreciate you asking Tanya about the possiblity of extending the Clinics Length!

BladeRunner:D

PB's & Killing Fish

Scott,

Congrats on your PB achievements during Tanya's clinic!

When are you going to head south and come kill some fish with me?

Scott Turgeon

Scott T,

Thanks for the congratuations and the offer.

I'm a total bust at spearfishing (at least on my first and only attempt). Loading the gun even presented a challenge. However, I'd be willing to give it another try.

I'm mainly interested in just freediving and, worst case, I'd get to dive in a new location and meet another freediver from these forums.

I'm heading down to Honduras in 2 weeks (unrelated to freediving, but I will get to spend one day on the Bay Islands/Roatan). I'll e-mail you when I get back and maybe I can just drive down early on a Saturday morning for a day of diving, if your offer still holds.

Thanks again,

Scott

Last edited:
Honduras

Scott,

Honduras, cool! I've been diving in Utila before.

The offer's always open for you on my boat. If you want to come down and just freedive all day, your more than welcome anytime (more fish for me). If it's clear, I know you'd have a great time. We hunt in the 60-75 ft range on wrecks and reef. Sometimes when we drift into a wreck the entire water column will be full of hundreds of fish (bar jacks, rainbow runners, big crevalle jacks, yellowtail snappers, small mangrove snappers, huge barracudas, blue runners, 300 lb jewfish, ect.). It can be absolutely breathtaking even if there's no shootable fish around. I love seeing and being a part of all that life.

I'll be gone to scout and compete in the 2002 Nationals in Carmel CA from July 9-21 but after that, just let me know whenever you want to come down.

Scott Turgeon

Last edited:
Scott T,

Sounds like a great time - count me in. I'll e-mail you and shoot (no pun intended) for a Saturday in August.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. Best wishes in the Nationals! Let us know how you do.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT