• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stress marks on my Cressi Gara 3000

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

crusty

Aquatic Soul
Jan 20, 2005
I have just noticed a white stress mark on my reasonbly new Cressi gara 3000.
Its allot more visable when they are wet ( i noticed it while diving ) but there are what looks to be stress marks in the blade just under the C in Cressi on the top side on both fins.
This seems to be the major flex or load point on the blade and looks as if the material is being over flexed and causing it do delaminate.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem ( can you over power them ) its looks like its going to spread accross the width of the blade makeing them loose their stiffness and drive.
Any suggestions
Should i buy a stiffer fin ???

Crusty

hi

I dont know if this is a common problem but my brother got some picasso green bladed fins and they had white stress marks across them from almost brand new :hmm .

I have beaten the hell out of my omer millenium comps and yet they are only white with scratches but dont have the white stress marks on them.

Do you have them in the sun a lot ?
seems weird

Thanks Ivan
Nop they have never been in the sun long enough to get them even warm
It looks like it could be caused by the raised lettering on the blade causing a week point
I will check it after the next dive or two and see if its growing
Could be a good excuse to buy some flash carbon fiber ones
Wont be able to let the wife see em though

Crusty

Not cressies but...

Not cressies but...
I got stress marks on my green OMER milleniums after 3~ weeks of diving everyday (the joy of traveling) when they where new, yet they are still working well after over 2 years and I don't think they are about to crack. They had become abit softer within years, but I think that's good for my technique.

stress marks can happen rarely in plastic fins, especially hard plastic ones like omer, sporasub, picasso etc.. may be even gara 2000hf but i don't think its possible to happen for gara 3000 they are material is bit different. I am using one almost 2 years and no stress sign despite scratches on it :)

Rondine Garas, the precurser to the 2000hf, would crack across the blade at the end of the foot pocket rail. It took a whole lot of hard hours, but was pretty common among hard divers. I've seen the start of this in other brands of fins and assume it is a universal problem with plastic. Just a matter of how hard you work them. Funny thing was, they worked fine cracked half or more across.

Connor

On beach entrys a retreating wave will do that, bend the blades up and back causing the white stress marks.

So i shoud not have jumped off the back of the boat with them on over easter
flexing them backwards.
You learn something every day when your not to bright.

Crusrty

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT