• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Striped Bass

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RIphish

Sep 4, 2002
I have been reading and enjoying the posts from everyone for the past month or so and I find it very interesting to see and hear about all of the different species of fish that people are spearing.
This was my first summer experiencing ANY kind of diving and I can't get enough of it now. I threw all of my rods and reels (except one just in case) in my basement and have officially retired from "normal" fishing. I've been fishing recreationally for striped bass for many years but have never come close to getting the sizes and numbers that I have landed this year from spearing. It has also opened up a whole new world for me in terms of "seeing" the underwater environment for what it really is.
I thought I would show off the fish that I am most proud of this summer - as well as my bewildered little boy - not bad for a newbie. I live in Newport, RI and the big striped bass are target for most of the local spearos.
Thanks again for sharing all of your experiences - it's giving me the bug to try some new waters and maybe even take a vacation (yeah right)!

Doug

Attachments

• img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 326
Damn you! I just moved west and you go and do that!

(that is one nice fish - making me jealous and all)

Glad to hear yet another had joing the ranks of the few, the proud, the fish-smelling.

Willer

Welcome to the family RIphish , that's a beaut fish ...:cool:
I'd say you are a natural spearo ; already instinctively mastered the art of projecting the fish forward to increase apparent size :D . Not that this one needs it .

Nice fish. Are they any good to eat?
Bill

Very good to eat. I will be eating that one for several more weeks. I have also been fortunate to sell a few others this summer to local resturants in order to pay for gas and my new dive watch. (I find that I have to justify my extracurricular purchases to my wife :naughty so this has been a good source of income for my "toys") I get $2 per pound and there are so many places to dine in Newport that I have no trouble finding a buyer.
This should go without saying but I never take more than I am legally allowed and I mainly spear the ones that are well over the minimum size limit for RI.
I recently purchased one of those vacuum bag sealer machines in order to vacuum package and freeze my catch in small dinner size portions. I used to never like the taste of fish thawed out from being frozen - this little device really works! I have a freezer full of fresh filets and it doesn't damage the quality of the fish because all of the air is removed. Highly recommended for those who like to eat a lot of fish but find that they are wasting more than they are eating.

And yes - I certainly do get a better photo when I hold the fish out toward the camera a little. This is not a spearo trick however - I've been fishing with rod and reel long enough to know how to preserve the memory in a photo that is 'larger than life'. :p (just make sure you hide your extended arm behind the fish's head)

stirper, stripper, whatever...

That's a damn nice fish, Doug and tasty too. Congrats!
They taste like chicken, Bill! :D

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT