• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stuck in 1min 30 sec!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Joao Pedro

Feb 19, 2015
I'm stuck in 1min 30sec. I don't know how to train, some people say you can overtrain using tables, others that you don't need o2 table in the beginning. I'm having a hard time to improve my hold. I just want a solid routine to achieve more bottom time.

Can someone give me some help, even if is something that personally worked for you. I know tables are good and apnea walks but I dont know the frequency and other details. Thanks in advance.

Work on the "other end" of your breath hold. That is, get yourself into excellent cardiovascular health through intense regular aerobic exercise pushing into anaerobic exercise. If I may ask, what is your resting heart rate? This is a good general indicator of your cardiovascular health.

I'll start weight lifting next week. I was needing a certificate from the doctor so I could start, he's a cardiologist and everything is fine with me. As you suggested, I'm thinking in weightlifting into cardio right after. The problem is that the other part of training which I'm not doing consistently. Is it safe to do one table each day? And should I stick with co2 only?

Hi Joao, the biggest progress for me to achieve a longer breath hold was to work on my relaxation. The idea is the avoid any kind of muscular tension, and get comfortable with the urge to breathe and the contractions. Relax, find peace of mind, let the contractions come and don't fight them.
Then, start working your breath hold out of the comfort zone, while trying to stay relaxed at the same time. No worries, you'll get there!

Joao, the "thing" that has taken me from a 2-3 minute breath-hold guy up around 6-7 minutes has been as HydroApprentice said; "relax, relax,relax"...and Lehmann108 is very correct that aerobic conditioning will make tremendous impacts on your anaerobic performance. I started with lap swimming and then by building up to doing 25 meter DNF's in the pool...just going back and forth, one length at a time. Combined with walking apnea and lots of static on the couch, laying down, etc. I make note of when I get the first contractions, and concentrate on extending that point incrementally each time.
I'm a gym rat, and spend a lot of time lifting, but I also balance that out with 30-45 minute cardio workouts...running, elliptical, bike, etc. and I have had some promising results from P90X and T25-type HIIT programs...but in the end, maybe just put some soothing music on, breath up, hold and count in your head...backward from 120, and just relax!

Reactions: Valdeeezzzyyy
Thanks, HydroApprentice i'll try to be better at relaxing.

John, thank you so much man that is exactly what i wanted to know. Here's what i'll be doing:

- Cardio hiit 30min, 5 days week;
- CO2 table mon, wed. O2 fri;
- Weightlifting, 5 days week;
- Sat, sun off. Usually surf this two days;

I'm still getting used to using the materials correctly. My first dive was a total mess! I was using nylon weight belt, it was moving to my chest all the time, the mask had more fog than the clouds, my fins was kind of loose too! Now i got a rubber belt, learned to clean my mask and got a thick sox so my fins can fit better! Looking forward to start the training and learn more about this stuffs! Thank you guys, i'll keep info update, maybe someone will use it in the future.

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
I'm stuck in 1min 30sec. I don't know how to train, some people say you can overtrain using tables, others that you don't need o2 table in the beginning. I'm having a hard time to improve my hold. I just want a solid routine to achieve more bottom time.

Can someone give me some help, even if is something that personally worked for you. I know tables are good and apnea walks but I dont know the frequency and other details. Thanks in advance.

Is that 1:30 static or 1:30 dive time?

Hi Joao, here's a hint for you: stop trying to beat that 1:30, just do your tables and see how you react to contractions, observe them a bit. Play with it. Do the tables assuming 1:30 as your max (i.e., 80% of that for O2, 50% for CO2). And keep observing yourself. When you notice that you only get contractions in the last, say, 4 rounds of the O2 table, it may mean that, having secured appropriate time and location and disposition, it makes sense to check your max again. Just "check it", rather than "beat it". Make it an issue of curiosity rather than ambition. Cheers!

Are you getting contractions and if you do when do they come? I often get a round of discomfort and contractions a bit after halfway through a static (3-4 minutes in if I'm doing good). They ease and I have little discomfort until the last part (30-60s)

Since it is a dry static there is no harm in enduring discomfort and seeing if you get used to the feeling. When you feel more comfortable it will be easier to relax and your times should improve.

Regarding diving; just relax and don't push it. Stay safe

Static, dry!

At 1:30 static, you don't have to worry too much about tables (certainly not O2 ones) although they will help if you can do them and stay relaxed. If they stress you out, then just work on relaxation. You can already do more than 1:30, everybody can. If you have a trained buddy and can do some enjoyable freediving and statics in the water, go for those rather than dry holds.

Try this as a test: just lie down on your bed at a quiet time and focus on relaxing your body - focus from head to toes, relaxing each body part at a time, muscle by muscle. Try doing this for about 5-10 mins. Once you are relaxed, do your first breathold for 30 seconds, staying relaxed throughtout. Once it's done, relax again for a couple of mind and do another, 45 seconds this time, then relax again, do 1 min, then relax, do 1:15, then relax and do another 45 second hold. Then rest for a couple of mins and do a max breathold, without checking the time - just do as much as you can and stay relaxed, it might get a bit harder towards the end but try to stay relaxed. Have a look at the time when you are done...

Thanks NoFair and Simos,
I have to say that I don't feel any contractions at all. Lately I've been pushing more and more trough the discomfort, then I managed to get a 1:54. I'll try what you said Simos and see what I got. Thanks again.

Simple answer - if you want to improve your static - train your static! Weight lifting is a nice thing, but it not improve your static.
Start with easy CO2 tables. It gives you everything in the beginning - working on your relaxation phase on the first breath-holds and dealing with contractions on the last breath-holds. Figure out was is your weakest point - small relaxation time or you couldn't deal with contraction.

There's no way you've reached your physical limits at 1:30. You need to work on shutting your mind up. I'm at 4mins static and I know I've still got lots of gains to be made in the mental department.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT