• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Subgear Steel Comp Mask

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

peacenluv

Apr 15, 2007
Hope everyone is having a great summer :)

Has anyone tried the Subgear Steel Comp Mask? Heard a lot of hype but not seen one yet. Cheers!

*Bump* I just came across the SubGear Steel in a search for a new freediving mask. Has anyone tried it? Any opinions on the brand? SubGear is new to me. Thanks!

*Bump* I just came across the SubGear Steel in a search for a new freediving mask. Has anyone tried it? Any opinions on the brand? SubGear is new to me. Thanks!

It's the same as the IST Bluetech, ProBlue Nero, ScubaMax Aria, SaekoDive M-2206KS ... to name a few, they just differ in branding.
Great mask, just buy it from a cheaper brand ... i.e. IST

Ok so I finally got my hands on a Subgear Steel COMP mask and it is AWESOME! Please note the Steel and Steel COMP are ENTIRELY DIFFERENT masks, the Steel COMP is flexible in the middle and actually can bend in half.

After several dives between 30-35m comparing the Steel COMP with the Sphera, I have to say this mask is very comparable in comfort and compression, with the added benefit of having glass lenses. I wore both masks quite loose at the surface, pre-equalize at surface before descent, one light mask equalization around 20m and easily comfortable whole dive to 35m bottom.

First glass mask I've used that can come close to comparing with the Sphera. For reference I use the Sporasub Mystic and Piranha for spearing and those masks are very comfortable, but the Steel COMP is a whole new animal. Only thing to mention is that the lenses might compress too close to the face for some people, but my first mask was the Aqualung Technisub Micromask in which my eyelashes would brush the lenses whenever I wink/blink.

Definitely worth a try and thumbs up to Subgear for a great new innovative mask design for freedivers. :)

Intriguing!

Would you say that you have a "medium" width face?

I find that the sphera is a bit wide for narrow-faced ppl and actually has quite a bit of volume on my face (although it is super compressible).

Confirmed: The Steel Comp is a real killer.
I've been testing it for a while now and it has become my primary mask, moving my beloved micromask (bought 2008) onto the bench as a spare.
The fleximask (steel comp is such a silly name) pretty much has all the advantages of a sphera, albeit a slightly reduced horizontal field of vision, without a frame that _will_ get more and more loose with lenses falling out if they don't scratch up before that.
The Silicone is relatively thin and soft and if you want to ride your mask, it will compress down until the tempered glass lenses squeeze against your eyeballs without any pressure build-up.
I am now giving the thing some abuse to see how it stands up in constant, heavy use, but so far everything about the mask has been absolutely favourable.

Bought the Steel Comp last week at the Boat Fair in Düsseldorf. I've only tried it in the pool (5 meters) twice but it must be the most comfortable mask I've ever worn. It seals very well, even with a bit of stubble. With a lot of masks I have the problem of pressure on the brow, so I'm always wriggling the mask around to take the pressure off. This mask is so flexible it doesn't have pressure points.
I can relate to the comparisons with the Sphera. It feels almost like a Sphera in that it wraps around your face and produces a suction, only it's smaller and lower in volume. It looks great, it's well crafted and the nose pocket is soft and easily reached even with gloves on. It fits my wife's face and a Sphera is slightly too big for her. The Sphera fits me like a glove and wish it had glass lenses(tried the Falco).
I would put the Steel Comp in the small to wider mid range.
It's very seldom to find all these positive qualities in a mask. I know, because I've had a whole bunch of masks ranging from the Superocchio to the Alien, Mystic, Mares Star to the Micromask and back to the Superocchio. All of them very good masks but always with the odd feature that didn't agree with me. This seems different.
Can't wait to try it out in the sea to see how the auto-compression works on deeper dives.
I can definitely recommend this mask.

I've tried on the steel-comp during extensive "living room diving" and while it is technically too wide for my narrow face, it still seals as it "folds" over the nose bridge.

I've yet to see how this affects the underwater optics, as well as compressibility when it starts out at the surface like this.

Well, I'm back from the Red Sea. The Subgear Steel Comp worked a dream. It sealed very well and there was no need for mask equalization until a good 20m. Then the auto-compression kicks in and you feel the mask slowly wrapping around your face. Nice. After a two hour session I didn't have a single mask mark on my face. I also tried a single lens mask, a Subgear Ghost, a friend had. Even if it's not directly marketed as a freediving mask, it's incedibly low volume for a single lens and extremely comfortable to wear. The FOV is brilliant. Might consider getting one as a back up.

Reactions: tcaster
I bought this Mask Subgear Steel Comp black for a Freedive pool course.
In the dive Shop in Amsterdam area it fitted nicely to my face, best of all modems in the Shop.
On the surface and for shallow dives it worked fine.
Once diving A bit deeper like 6-7 meter / 20 feet it started leaking, probably because it was bending in the middle due to pressure.
I tried it twice for spearfishing but it did not work at all. The two lenses do give A distorted view and it is not possible to aim well at fish, quite basic for spearfishing. Also I was not able to see and focus on details of underwaterlife or look well inthe distance. On the Subgear website under product overview for this Mask Subgear makes A note that the Mask cannot be used for Scuba as people become sick, but I had this experience while spearfishing. I tried 60 masks in A freedive Shop in Hawaii and compared all remaining as pars, and finally bought A Gull model Mantis5, that cannot bend.

I have a narrow face and I found that while it sealed (because it's so flexible) that it did distort and leak at more extreme pressures without equalizing it.

I'm sticking to my modified micromask with Sugru for depth and Sporasub Mystic for recreational diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lent the Steel Comp out to two friends and both had leaking issues, especially under the nose. I met a few others in Dahab who had similar experiences. I think the designers have kept the lip under the nose pretty short, so the seal will break pretty easily as soon as a snorkel is placed in the mouth. It's never happened to me but then again almost all masks fit my face/don't leak alot, even when they're uncomfortable. Although I've had the same problem with the Omer UP-M1 which I sent back as it leaked no end on my face, which is a shame as I love the way it looks.
I met a guy who is apparently in touch with Subgear and he said they're working on the lower lip of the Steel Comp to ensure a more universal fit. It's definetly an endevour to pursue as this mask is truly an innovation. It would be a shame if it just went down as another fruitless effort. It's a good mask and I can recommend it even though I've been relying on my Mystic again in recent times.

I second all the great reviews about Subgear Steel Comp. I have just bought it to replace my Technisub Falco and I'm very happy with it:

1. Perfect fit/ Very comfortable/ No leaking
2. Almost no mask mark (with the Falco I had to endure it for 4+ hours which was annoying)
3. Agree with Sanso that the branding/ naming for this mask could be Subgear Fleximask to highlight this bending feature which is AWESOME. The mask can squash against your face and still be very confortable
4. Requires much less equalization compared to Falco (I would say 1/3)
5. Even though Subgear's website states that it is "not recommended for scuba diving as this could lead to sickness", I think thats a bit exaggerated. If you are scuba diving just equalize it as much as you want.
6. Worth every penny!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT