• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Suggestions for a starter freediving computer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cappendi

Jul 19, 2022
Hi, I am new to freediving, and I want to buy an affordable freediving computer, preferably one that can transfer the data to a PC ( I am a data freak). I have seen the search driver and seac apnea hr, any other suggestion in that price range? Or maybe I should forget about the data transfer and get the cheaper seac, any suggestions are welcomed!

I have to disappoint you but there is a meaningful possibility that you will have issues with the cheap and not so cheap ones. I am actually in the process of repairing mine (Omer Omr-1) after maybe 60 salt water dives (washed in fresh water after each dive). It has magnetic buttons (leak through the button INTO the watch is IMPOSSIBLE) but the magnets corroded due to a bad design and lost their power. Seacs you mentioned do not use magnetic buttons - there is a possibility of water getting through the button into the watch and I saw photos of water damage in those Seacs. So my suggestion would be to get something that you will be able to exchange under warranty. And use it extensively within the warranty window.
The good thing about my Omer Omr-1 - it has a rechargeable battery and a lot of issues arise when you change the battery yourself and get leaks after. In my case I do not have to do that but the buttons crapped out. Some manufacturers state that if you change the battery yourself - you will void the warranty. Sending the watch for battery change could be expensive.
By the way if you buy from Europe - it will be cheaper and the warranty will be at least 2 years. My Omer was $450 in the USA but I bought it from TradeInn for $200.
In summary - hope for the best but be prepared for the worst :)

Reactions: cappendi
I have to disappoint you but there is a meaningful possibility that you will have issues with the cheap and not so cheap ones. I am actually in the process of repairing mine (Omer Omr-1) after maybe 60 salt water dives (washed in fresh water after each dive). It has magnetic buttons (leak through the button INTO the watch is IMPOSSIBLE) but the magnets corroded due to a bad design and lost their power. Seacs you mentioned do not use magnetic buttons - there is a possibility of water getting through the button into the watch and I saw photos of water damage in those Seacs. So my suggestion would be to get something that you will be able to exchange under warranty. And use it extensively within the warranty window.
The good thing about my Omer Omr-1 - it has a rechargeable battery and a lot of issues arise when you change the battery yourself and get leaks after. In my case I do not have to do that but the buttons crapped out. Some manufacturers state that if you change the battery yourself - you will void the warranty. Sending the watch for battery change could be expensive.
By the way if you buy from Europe - it will be cheaper and the warranty will be at least 2 years. My Omer was $450 in the USA but I bought it from TradeInn for $200.
In summary - hope for the best but be prepared for the worst :)
Thanks for the suggestion! Makes me think I should just go for the simple Seac Partner, which is a third of the price and start with that... I live in Mexico, so the warranties are always tricky.

Thanks for the suggestion! Makes me think I should just go for the simple Seac Partner, which is a third of the price and start with that... I live in Mexico, so the warranties are always tricky.
I understand - in Mexico gear is expensive plus I believe they tax you on foreign mail orders :( When my Omer crapped out - i was in your shoes - was thinking about Seac Partner - they are very cheap. But I have required equipment to machine new buttons for my Omer. Seacs are made in China. Suuntos are made in Finland I believe but they are much more expensive. Another suggestion - leave your computer in a fresh water overnight after each dive and never forget to do it! here is a link for a red Seac Partner: https://www.tradeinn.com/diveinn/en...a839c80f6879fbddb25f3a66a1f8b&buscador_search

Hi, I am new to freediving, and I want to buy an affordable freediving computer, preferably one that can transfer the data to a PC ( I am a data freak). I have seen the search driver and seac apnea hr, any other suggestion in that price range? Or maybe I should forget about the data transfer and get the cheaper seac, any suggestions are welcomed!
Hello, i made 200+ dives with https://www.tradeinn.com/diveinn/en/salvimar-one-plus-freediving-computer/137093059/p and 3 years and 3 battery changes later i lost the watch, buying new one. Maybe it is the same as Seac Partner. I can recommend for the price. Although you need to do the data transfer by hand :).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT