• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Surface Hunting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've also done that with my new Picasso Century Carbon.

I have placed a rail on top and taped up the bottom.

Murat, you won't need more than one wrap of line with the stock setup.

I spoke to Fabrizio from Totem yesterday and he is making me a Tahiti 120 and a Pelagos 90. I will pick them up from Rome in September.
(Just thought I'd make you jealous HEHE!!)

Originally posted by Wishbone
Hey Murat,

Congrats on your new gun...

I don't know what kind of torch you're going to buy, but I was quite happy with my Technisub torch for about EUR 20. The smaller the torch - the better. When buying it, make sure it won't occupy your hand the whole time - you should be able to leave it hanging on your wrist without feeling it too heavy. And also you must be able to operate the on/off switch with the same hand while pointing the torch. All other models are useless and inconvenient. And since you're a spearo and you will rarely dive in complete darkness (spearing at night is forbidden in most of the Med countries anyway) you don't really need a torch powerful enough to lighten up a disco bar. Go for something small and cheap.

I'd say one wrap of line is just fine. I dunno whether OMER still provides the guns with the thin kevlar black line, but if they do, don't use it on the longer gun. Its doesn't stretch and can be easily torn by a larger fish when it touches a rock. It is also very thin and literally cuts through the fishes with softer flesh. Once it gets scratched by a shell or a rock it snaps like hair.
You may laugh, but what I use is thicker fishing line. You can replace it every single week of the season and it still be cheaper than the fancy kevlar lines and stuff... But that's my personal opinion! :)

A little piece advice on the carbon barrel. I guess you're not going to strut on the beach with the barrel right? No one would really make the difference anyway. :)
The solution is very simple. Get a roll of that black sticky insulation tape the electritians use for wires. Then wind it around the whole length of the barrel (like on the grip of a tennis racquet). The tape is soft and thick and prevents the carbon from even heavier scratches. The glue is also very good and hasn't come off of my gun for 2 seasons already. If you want to unwind it, it won't leave any marks and the barrel is as new....

Cheers,

Ivan

The torch is OMER Moonlight Elite. Standart moonlight is compact and powerfull. Its 5 watt. But elite is 10 watt with alluminium head special interior design. I like it much will talk to shop owner if he can make me special discount.
If i say i am not going to use my 100 cm gun around rocky place its not hold coz all of my diving location is rocky:duh. Altough 100 cm gun is not for bluewater use but i don't mind to change its original design. I will care it extremelly good. But if its not work i may consider this taping option as well.
Probably small alluminium barell gun perform better in tough conditions.

Originally posted by shaneshac
I've also done that with my new Picasso Century Carbon.

I have placed a rail on top and taped up the bottom.

Murat, you won't need more than one wrap of line with the stock setup.

I spoke to Fabrizio from Totem yesterday and he is making me a Tahiti 120 and a Pelagos 90. I will pick them up from Rome in September.
(Just thought I'd make you jealous HEHE!!)

Glad to her that man. Really....

What will use for bluefins? Tahiti 120?

Anyway, at least write a review about guns to level down curiosity. Level down???? I don't know if its make any sense in english.... I am playing to much RPG in computer nowadays....

I become level hugry maniac...

I have asked fabrizio to balance the tahiti with a 7mm shaft so I can put a Wong slimline slip tip.

Hope that will let me have a chance with a bluefin.

I will use the Pelagos for inshore fishing in the winter for sea bass. I don't usually hunt in caves so I don't need anything shorter than a 90.
The pelagos shape should help with side tracking for fast moving bonito as well.

As you mention, an aluminium barrell will let you fish in rocky areas without having to worry about cracking the barrell.

Man dont you think that 120 cm may be little small for 300 kg bluefin. May be bigger is really better in this situation. Anyway, those wong sliptip was tricut, ain't it? This gives you some serious penetraing power.

You will go to Rome just for speargun??? Or you will hang in the water channels with your girlfriend?:inlove Hehehehe..... One stone two bird ! ! !rofl

Watch you a*s while orcas are around.:martial

Originally posted by Murat
Man dont you think that 120 cm may be little small for 300 kg bluefin. May be bigger is really better in this situation. Anyway, those wong sliptip was tricut, ain't it? This gives you some serious penetraing power.

You will go to Rome just for speargun??? Or you will hang in the water channels with your girlfriend?:inlove Hehehehe..... One stone two bird ! ! !rofl

Watch you a*s while orcas are around.:martial

hi

Nah 120 is not to small, depends on how close and how calm shane can stalk these monsters.

cheers

I am going to Rome as part of a mediterranean cruise. I am getting married next Friday so I am using that excuse to get to Rome and buy a couple of new guns ;)

I am sure that a 120 gun would suffice if I get close enough. I wouldnt want to be any further than 3 meters from the fish to ensure good penetration. Shooting a bigger from 6 or 7 metres would probably mean hurting a lot of fish unnecessarilly!

If I cannot get close enough I will have to rethink my strategy and get a Wong Tuna gun. I could make my own as well:p

One question: How would I stop myself from being tangled in the float line and pulled into the abyss. This thought occurred to me last night and got me a bit worried? Is there a way to ensure this does not happen?

Congrat ! ! ! Thats a cool way for honeymoon:cool:

I saw in bluewater video that guys hunting wahoo with eurogun. They were using breakaway and they grab the float line with left hand away from the body before the shoot. I dunno but probably they do this not to tangle after the shoot.

Its short clip in Torelli site. You better to check it

I am going to Rome as part of a mediterranean cruise. I am getting married next Friday so I am using that excuse to get to Rome and buy a couple of new guns ;)

I am sure that a 120 gun would suffice if I get close enough. I wouldnt want to be any further than 3 meters from the fish to ensure good penetration. Shooting a bigger from 6 or 7 metres would probably mean hurting a lot of fish unnecessarilly!

If I cannot get close enough I will have to rethink my strategy and get a Wong Tuna gun. I could make my own as well:p

One question: How would I stop myself from being tangled in the float line and pulled into the abyss. This thought occurred to me last night and got me a bit worried? Is there a way to ensure this does not happen?

Are you serious about that wong stuff??? I can't even imagine how much shipping you have to pay to bring 72 inch gun. BTW i saw one differently made/modified wong mahi gun in http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/ It looks pretty wild...

Nah just kidding about the wong guns. I will stick to Euro manufacturers which is what I know. I have all the instructions on how to build my own teak stock and could probably get a cheap trigger mech from Totem or Teak Sea.

We'll try the Tahiti out first.

When are you getting the Omer?

Hopefully tomorrow. They arrived to island but they were on custom. There may be a bit paper work...
75 cm guns are out of stock i have to wait next arrival...
BTW did you think to buy teak sea for bluefins? Their DR Fish model looks pretty powerfull.

hi

Congrats on getting married bru :cool:

hi

With the float line i always make sure that its not tangled around my belt or fins or anything BEFORE the shot. Just get in the habit of keeping it clear. Once the fish is shot just either let it run freely until the flaots pull it up, or keep it running through one of your hands as the fish runs. It is most dangerous when you are getting close to the fish, that is when it will wrap line around you.

cheers

Thats what I was afraid of. If one of those monsters decides to circle me before diving deep I am F@$#ed :D

I will have to make sure the line is well clear of me.

Thanks for that bru;)

hi

Shane i recieved my Alberto March video today. All I can say is I sat there open mouthed watching this machine fishing down at 41.5m !!!! :cool:

I couldnt believe that he actually swims along the bottom in some spots at that depth whilst stalking unknown fish, not to mention pulling grouper out of caves with torches :duh

Incredible

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Shane i recieved my Alberto March video today. All I can say is I sat there open mouthed watching this machine fishing down at 41.5m !!!! :cool:

I couldnt believe that he actually swims along the bottom in some spots at that depth whilst stalking unknown fish, not to mention pulling grouper out of caves with torches :duh

Incredible

cheers

Do you mean he is using his torch to attract grouper???

That guy is incredible.

Murat, the torch is used to illuminate the darkest parts of the caves. At that depth most of the fish are either bottom dwellers or in a cave.

hi

Yeah in some spots there is the SMALLEST little ledge that you could hardly fit your hand under and he is upside down with his gun in there and the torch and nails fish at that depth. It was also interesting to see that he uses some sort of spear extractor to pull the spears out when they are stuck.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT