• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

surface swimming spearfishing fin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Softer blades are genera knowlly reckoned to be well suited to spearing involving a lot of surface swimming, such as when starting on shore rather than boat.

If think Cressi uses "LD" (long distance?) to indicate their softer bladed fins, intended for such use. However, most Spearfishing equipment makers offer suitable fins. Typically with plastic blades. Omer fins are well regarded and even their most basic models will likely be well suited to your needs. I have used Beuchat Competition fins for many years; not expensive if you shop around, good footpockets, tough plastic replaceable blades, available in different colours. Other blade materials probably available for them too.

Mares and Seacsub make some nice spearing fins. There are a several
other French companies that make decent spearing fins too, "palmes". Rob Allen and Mako also offer spearing fins now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxim
What is a lot? I do 3km plus in my Mares Razor Carbon. They come in one hardness (medium). In general the harder is the blade the smaller the amplitude must be. So anything medium or below is recommended. Try to experiment with as many as possible. The footpocket must be comfortable and you should not be getting cramps. But you can adapt your technique to almost any blade.
As far as the angle - it goes between 0 and 33 degrees (Cetma Prana) and supposedly the higher the number the better is surface swimming. A standard angle is 20-22 and it is more than adequate if you are reasonably flexible in your ankles (you can always improve that).
Also once you get your fins unless you are privileged to go to the ocean you can always practice in the pool to work on technique and stamina

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the quick response.
I want to dive to depths of 3-6m because that's what's near the beach.
So it requires me to swim a lot over the water and only when I notice a fish dive in order to try to catch it.
So I wanted to know whether a fin with a long blade would fit or make it harder for me?
If a long fin is suitable for a suitable beuchat mundial sport? And if anyone knows his angle?
And is it recommended to use a weight belt for diving at these depths without a suit?
Thanks

As far as the belt - depends on your natural buoyancy but I would use a 1-kilo weight. You have to experiment.
You would benefit from long-blade fins but the emphasis should be made on comfort and surface swimming since the diving depth is low.
Beuchat mundial sport is a plastic fin that is better than rubber I guess. Looking at the photos it has a standard 20-22 degrees angle. If the footpocket is good for you - you can later replace the blades with fiber or carbon. But once again, try the footpocket. If you have high instep and wide feet - Mares razor footpocket is good. For a more narrow foot Cressi footpocket is better. You have to try it.

thx, so what is the recommendtion to buy long blade fin or a snorkel short fin with swimming ability?

thx, so what is the recommendtion to buy long blade fin or a snorkel short fin with swimming ability?
If you have the budget - buy long blade fins - carbon or fiberglass. If you are REALLY short on money - buy plastic fins with a removable footpocket and so later you can replace the blades with better ones. Removable footpocket fins have drilled blades and a screw-type attachment system. Most brands do.

i want to know if the footpocket is longer in one centimeter than the end of the toes if its ok or noemal or its too long and i will lose transfer energy?

thx

for surface swimming, I say it is more important to have less drag, your posture and whatever you carry with you should be as slick as you can manage. Any long blade fins would do, and if you are carrying a huge mesh bag full of sea urchins it wouldn't matter how good your fins are.

Definitely long fins, but slightly shorter and slightly wider is better for spearfishing. Angle is important but less so than softness. You kick differently on the surface than under water and a soft fin is a major advantage. Low rails are better for manuverability needed for spearing.

Definitely longfins. Slightly shorter and slightly wider is better for spearing if you can find a fin like that. Foot pocket fit is critical for any fin. Soft is critical for long surface swims. You kick differently on the surface than underneath and a soft fin works much better. Angle is good, more is better. Low rails are good for the maneuverability needed for spearing

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT