• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sushi anyone???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hello, i was wondering, dose anyone know how to make good sushi.

My understanding that to become skilled at sushi takes years of training and apprenticeship. Its easier to find a good sushi bar and just go there. Now sashimi is a whole different thing. That only requires primium soy sauce in a bowl, some miso, some hot chinese mustard and some sliced pickled ginger. Get the freshest bonito you can shoot, clean and get onto the ice. Fillet it then julienne the fillets. Pick up with chopsticks, dip in choice of toppings, stick in mouth. The key is fresh.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi
I make all my own sushi. It kills me when I go into the sushi restaurants and get the bill at the end of the day. Visit your local japanese food store / internet shop and pick up:
Sushi Rice
Sushi Rice powder ( almost like a powdered vinegar + helps rice form easily )
Seaweed paper
Rolling mat
Chopsticks
Salted or sweetened Soya sauce
Wasabi ( paste for home or powder if you are planning a trip )
Smoked Eel

The cooking instructions are normally on the rice and rice powder.
Rolling instructions are normally on the seaweed paper pack.
Cut your fish/scallops/crab/lobster up fine, cut your cucumber/avocado/carrot/spring onions/apple/pear/anything that grabs your fancy into long fine strips
Roll on matt or make a cone.
Mix soya and wasabi to your liking.
job done.

We had sashimi on the boat yesterday. Best prepared on the fin.

Regards Paul

Great information. We were planning on trying to make some of our own sushi this summer. I could see the sashimi being fairly simple to prepare, but I would be up for the challenge of making some rolls. Up here in Rhode Island, Triggerfish have been found that have "gotten lost" on the Gulfstream, and end up in the waters surrounding Block Island. So hopefully they make their way up here this year so we can turn them into some delicious, fresh, sushi. Thanks for sharing the ideas, gentlement!

Happy eating, -John

Great information. We were planning on trying to make some of our own sushi this summer. I could see the sashimi being fairly simple to prepare, but I would be up for the challenge of making some rolls. Up here in Rhode Island, Triggerfish have been found that have "gotten lost" on the Gulfstream, and end up in the waters surrounding Block Island. So hopefully they make their way up here this year so we can turn them into some delicious, fresh, sushi. Thanks for sharing the ideas, gentlement!

Happy eating, -John

Triggerfish are my favorite target! Mmmmm-mm!

Reactions: Crazys13
'Was interested to read Paul's info. on sushi, although it sounds a little involved & getting the ingredients round here would be a problem. But I was looking forward trying some sashimi (a la Old Sarge & Hugh Fernley-Wittingstall). I like smoked salmon & tried a little raw unsmoked salmon recently (same just less smokey:D). However, I just read Michael Winner's story in today's Dail Mail:

"...Particularly as my recent rare illness vibrio vulnificus*, caught from eating an oyster, has cost me £750,000 so far (I had no medical insurance)...As a side issue I'd like to advise you: never, ever eat raw fish. The seas and rivers are so polluted there is a very real and increasing danger. Forget oysters, sushi, anything raw in the fishworld.

Also, never buy a Ferrari..."

MW can be a bit of an old blow hard but he might have a point this year. There have been several warnings of increased pollution in the UK due to heavy rains & flooding last year &, to a lesser extent, this year.

That said, I had a couple of delicious raw Abbotsbury Oysters at Swanage this weekend. Served on crush ice with lemon & Tabasco sauces - YUM:p

*[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrio_vulnificus]Vibrio vulnificus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Disease Listing: Vibrio vulnificus General Information | CDC DFBMD

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldsarge
Absolutely correct, X. Sushi should never be made from any fresh water or estuarine species, ever! Sushi is only safe when made from pelagic or deep saltwater species. Check out your local sushi bar and see what fish they use and don't try to expand the menu unless you know for sure that it is safe. My wife the microbiologist has hammered that into my head very thoroughly.

Reactions: spaghetti
Correct me if I' wrong, but if a fish is polluted, then is cooking it really going to fix anything? Bad fish meat and polluted fish meat are two different things, or so I thought.. Please forgive my ignorance but I have never taken much time to look into things of this nature. All I know is I love sushi, and I make sure it's fresh, and I don't eat raw clams for fear of Hepatitis!

Correct me if I' wrong, but if a fish is polluted, then is cooking it really going to fix anything? Bad fish meat and polluted fish meat are two different things, or so I thought.. Please forgive my ignorance but I have never taken much time to look into things of this nature. All I know is I love sushi, and I make sure it's fresh, and I don't eat raw clams for fear of Hepatitis!

Im no expert either but as far as cooked v.s. raw, a lot of sicknesses that come from fish in polluted areas are usually caused by bacteria which many times can be cooked off. i.e. salmonella, or ecoli. Hard-metals such as mercury or lead cannot be cooked off so in that respect it doesnt matter whether its cooked or raw. Also ciguatera fish poisoning (common in tropical waters) cannot be cooked off either.

Personally I hardly ever cook any of my fish. Sashimi is tha bomb baby!!

My favorite sushi roll is called the panko crusted ahi roll

Just take a nice piece of sashimi grade Yellow or blue fin tuna cut it in a rectangle ~1inch tall and 1.5inches wide and about 6 inches long

wrap it in spinach or lettuce,

Coat with mayo or veganaise and cover with panko(japanese breadcrumbs)

Fry in peanut oil or canola oil just until panko turns a golden brown, you dont want to cook the fish.

slice into 1/2 inch medallions and serve with what ever sauce sounds good.

Reactions: Mr. X and Oldsarge
Ahh I understand now. For some reason I was only thinking of chemical pollution, wasn't considering the bacteria pollution.

Man your making me hungry with that crusted ahi roll. I can't wait to try some of these ideas. I've seen those panko crumbs in the store, and always wanted to give them a try, so perhaps I will!

-John

Ahh I understand now. For some reason I was only thinking of chemical pollution, wasn't considering the bacteria pollution.

Man your making me hungry with that crusted ahi roll. I can't wait to try some of these ideas. I've seen those panko crumbs in the store, and always wanted to give them a try, so perhaps I will!

-John

Another great way to cook fish (if you want to cook it that is) is to satee it in panko. Take a little parmasean ( I know Sago will flip when he sees this, apparently in europe parmasean and fish are a big no no) mix it with some basil and the panko.

dip your fish in flower then egg and then the panko, satee on a medium heat and serve with a white wine buerr blanc sauce and capers.

google buerre blanc (white butter) and you will find the recipe. onolicious!!

Damn, it's a good thing I'm full. I'd hate to be rushing out to either a sushi bar or the beach at this hour of the night. Those recipes look good!

Reactions: blaiz
mark my word Blaiz, I will be trying your recipes! Thanks for the info! I enjoy fish cooked or not, it is all wonderful and delicious to me.

i mostly catch cod and a few striped sea perch, are any of these good for sushi or sashimi

i mostly catch cod and a few striped sea perch, are any of these good for sushi or sashimi

Only one way to find out:blackeye I would suggest that when you filet your catch leave it in the fridge over night. The meat will loosen up a bit and be a lot more tender. Fresh isnt always the best for sashimi. When a fish is caught and dies the meat tends to tighten up a bit, a fresh killed fish (unless stoned, bled, and put on ice immediately) will tend to make "tough" sashimi. A filet left to loosen up for a night will make very tender sashimi. I have learned this through personal experience.

Good advice. There is a truly strange fashion running around now among the more pretentious "foodies" for eating fish that is still twitching from being killed out of the restaurant tank. It's another of those odd Japanese fetishes that make absolutely no culinary sense but there you are. Fuggedaboudit! Blaiz is right. Let the fillets rest.

It's usually a good idea to let the whole fish stay on ice overnight to make it much easier to filet. I've seen the difference, it's night and day.

i went diving today and caught a nice large black cod and an olive i'll put some fillets in the fridge.

May i suggest something. The key to great sushi is getting the rice correctly. It requires rice vinegar, and sugar, and letting it cool just right, and stirring it only enough.

The fish and the nori (please remember to toast it )are easy. So i recommend that anyone can be a great sushi chef if you just go by your local sushi restaurant on your way home from spearing. Just buy sushi rice already prepared. And if you are friends enough with them, just trade the rice for a nice head, or filet. Also have them throw in some ponzu sauce.

With a great room temperature sushi rice, ponzu, wasabi and your fresh fish, you cant go wrong. Might i add in also getting some fresh green chives and some sesame seeds to toast as well, and maybe a bit of toasted sesame seed oil for the diced fish that you scrape off the bones. Because remember when you fillet a fish you leave all kinds of great meat on the bones. take your spoon and run it down the bones making a thhhhhhwrrrrrrrpppppp noise. In your spoon will be loads of small pieces of meat. Add in some sesame oil, and fresh chives, and a pinch of sesame seed and eat like tar-tar. Or use this for your rolls so you can save your prize pieces of fillet for your sashimi. You will be amazed at how much fish you get off the bones like this.

Reactions: blaiz
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT