• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sussex national competition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

eric aqua

Apr 17, 2005

SUSSEX SPEARFISHING CLUB
NATIONAL COMPETITION BOGNOR

Venue Bognor Outer Reef Boat Comp
Date May 2nd Back Up May 16th
Meet Main Boat Ramp Car Park 07.00am
Start & Finish From the Boats
Competition Area Felpham Buoy to Bognor Pier
Start Time As Near to 08.00am as Possible
Finish 14.00pm.
Fish Ten per species Congers One No Wrasse
Entry Fee Senior £15 Juniors & OAPs Free
People Supplying Boats Free
Compasses You must carry a compass as per national rules.

Contact eric.aquaman@btinternet.com

Note Bass 45cm In Sussex Waters

We need as many boats as possible! So if you can possibly bring one please contact the organizer, before the event and let us know that you will be bringing one along.

Conditions and Safety It will be cold so warm suits are a must. Please bring a lightweight waterproof jacket to keep the wind off you while in the boats. Your own flask of warm drink might also help.

The tide will be slack for the first three hours then will be running to the east for two hours before slackening off again. If you want to get out of the water before the event ends a safety boat will be on hand to run divers back to the ramp. All divers must register their end of the comp on leaving the water.

History. This is the best time of year for fishing Bognor as the bream shoals move in attracting large shoals of Pollack and Bass. Expect a winning catch of over twenty fish if conditions are right. Watch out for Boats including Yachts, as there are several launch ramps and sailing clubs in the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Dived Bognor yesterday had a big shoal of bass round me took a 6lbs it is all starting to happen. Viz Crap.

Dived Bognor yesterday had a big shoal of bass round me took a 6lbs it is all starting to happen. Viz Crap.

Hello db7 , welcome to db , nice fish to start the year .
How crap is the vis' ?

Thanks db7 , hopefully hear from you on the Sussex thread , we need more people to post 'cos it's a bit quiet there at the moment .
Perhaps see you in the water sometime .
glowworm , thank you for the link , very fast advisor type work there !

weather is looking good for the first comp of the year at Bognor. Bream and pollack have arrived and so have the big bass.

Its an early start 8am in the water finish will be at 2pm. please bring a boat if you can, free entry if you do.

Kev

Reactions: Mr. X
weather is looking good i was told the opposite! lets hope it is good

Blowing a bit tomorrow but forcast flat calm on the day, I will post again Thursday with up to date info, we have club members in the area tomorrow checking. Lower viz means the fish come closer, catches should be good.

The Sussex National is on this Saturday at Bognor, we have had several divers in the water today and all reported viz at between 8 and 15ft despite rough seas, the next two days are forecast calm with shortening tides so expect good viz on the day. To put more emphasise on the new rules this year regarding fish, a top quality gun has been given to us by European Spearfishing Supplies for the diver with the most amount of species on the day, in the event of a draw the highest placed diver will win. Many other prizes have been donated by our sponsors so bring plenty of change on the day for the raffle and car park. Just to wet your appetite one of the divers scouting today saw two bass under one ledge in fine condition and both over ten pounds, quite a sight with no gun in your hand. Don't forget if you have a boat please bring it, boat owners are free in the comp but we will be asking them for a five pound donation for the guy on the ramp who is opening up early for us.
The Sussex Spearfishing Club look forward to diving with you on the day.

Last edited:
thanks for the viz report eric, me and JamesT are going to make are way down tomorrow evening so were nice and fresh for the morning

Hi guys, I left my weightbelt lying on boat ramp at the top near the jet ski hut when we were pushing the boats back up. It is a Cressi webbing belt with an Omer Marco Bardi stringer attachment and Seatec weight vest attachment on. It also has a wire loop drilled into the rear weight for a float line clip:head:head:head:head:head
I am really p!$$ed off with myself as my belt was organised just right and I now need to source it all again.
Can you pass this message around to the Sussex crew or anyone who may come to hear of it's whereabouts.
Many thanks
Brett
PM for mobile phone number

Reactions: flyflicker
Motivation to maintain bio-diversity? Good idea, good PR.
weather is looking good for the first comp of the year at Bognor. Bream and pollack have arrived and so have the big bass.
That's a lot of good news . Of course, I just caught a streaming cold!

Last edited:
i havent got any pics but there was some lovely fish caught. a hand full of bass just under the 10lb mark, a nice conger around 16lb and spearomatt had some nice big bream cant remember how big! other species caught garfish, dogfish, pollock and pout i think that was it! some really nice ground viz was around 2-4meters

Cool - sounds like a good comp!

I saw the results posted earlier although I didn't really understand how it was scored - does it go simply on the weight of the fish caught?

the fish are weighed in kgs and every gram =1point, you also get 1000 points for each species of fish you catch. mackrell and garfish are scored different cant remember how! hope that makes sense

They also still use the system where the winner gets 100% and then everyone else who weighs in gets a percentage in proportion to their points compared to the winners points.

Possibly also still a maximum number of points for the weight of one individual fish? Used to be 4000 ie 4kg.

Is the new rule limiting number of fish of one species now in force? Is it 5?

The rules have not changed (although they have been refined) for many years. They are probably as good as you'll get for a competition that is still basically shoot as much fish as you can and as big as you can (within the limits of the rules).

Personally I would still like to see more of a specimen hunt than a bag catch system. But at the moment that's abridge too far.

Dave

Reactions: Mr. X and Broseidon
Hi Surf n Spear,
I found a belt on the slipway at bognor on sat and asked around and noone claimed it, I gave it to Eric (organiser) and he took care of it.
I believe he has gone on his hols now for a bit but it would be worth chasing him up as soon as he gets back. i'm not going to be about for a while due to work but let me know if you find it or else i will chase him next week when hopefully we'll all be back!

Reactions: SurfnSpear
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…