• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sussex national competition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You're a legend Dave, many thanks:king. I'll call you sometime to get his number so I can catch up with him after his hols.
Brett

SnS, i've mailed Eric so as soon as he picks it up (prob after his hols) I will try to find out where your belt is and how best to get it back to you!

Dave, I was thinking that it might be better to hold it until Ringstead comp and I'll use my spare for now.:)
Saves any undue hassle.
cheers again.

I'll let you know if i manage to find it and then you'll have to remind me to bring it along nearer the time as i'm a forgetfull kind of a person!!!!!

I have been abroad for a time after the comp so sorry for the delay in writing a report on the dive. First I must thank all the divers that turned up with their boats 11 in total this meant that we could all travel to the ground 1.5 miles out in some sort of comfort. All the boats anchored around the master boat in 30ft of water and many divers started swimming out to sea to small outcrops of reef that would give them a bit of room to fish. This paid off for Mick Veal (2nd) and Dave Pearce (3rd) of the Southsea club, but others should have trusted the club organisers Sussex the boats had been moored on some of the best ground at Bognor. Lee Deighton of the Sussex club worked hard around the boats pulling out a steady mixed catch before squeezing into a long dark tunnel to see a just the outline of a big fin in the gloom up a side hole. He got a good holding shot into the fish but not a killing one, it was half an hour later after working in nil viz, as the fish churned the bottom up in the hole, before he had the ten pound bass under control on the surface. Several dives later he arrived on the shingle without a rock in site to be confronted by two big wrasse (a banned fish in this comp) as they ambled away he followed until they settled on a small rock. The small rock had a hole in it and as Lee crept slowly forward the big grey head of a 9 lb bass came into view this fish was a lot easier and was taken with a kill shot to give Lee 1st place on the day.
His brother Sean took 4th place with three bass in his catch also from round the boats to give Sussex A the first team spot for the day. The restrictions stopping divers from catching more than ten of one species and an extra 1000 points for for each species worked well with Mick Veal winning a Rob Allen rail gun kindly donated by European Spearfishing Supplies. Fishing on the day was a bit quite for Bognor but that was not surprising as a very big Dolphin was working in the area.
This is just a short review of the comp as the full two page report and photos will be published in the Crystal Clear Magazine in the Autumn.

Old Man Dave was talking about the rules of competition fishing. We had major changes at the AGM last year. There is now a limit of ten fish of each species, a limit that is rarely reached and a new bonus of 1000 pts is given for every new species after the first. During the first comp this produce a greater variety of fish with the second place man having 6 in his catch. Congers are at the discretion of the organizers and 1 per diver was allocated at the first comp. All the fish are measured now for size with most divers having there guns marked up to stop the taking of undersized fish and all fish have size limits well above the fisheries limits. National competitions are to see who is the best spearfisherman of the year and to help pick the British team, they are also an opportunity to compare gear and meet some of the best divers in the country.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT