• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suunto D3 Error

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
I am having trouble with the depth calibration on my D3. When I am floating on the surface it is reading 0.8 metres. When I am lying face down on the surface and drop my hands it goes over 1.2 metres and thinks I am submerged.

And no in case your wondering I do not possess the physical attributes of an orang utan (Before the smart comments arrive :D )

If anyone has had this problem and knows the solution please advise.

Thanks

Shane

I just had this same problem.

Mine would read 18' at the surface adn 48' when I was at about 25'.

I sent it back to Aqualung and they just replaced the whole unit- FOR FREE!

I hope to pick it up this weekend.

Jon

hi

i dive with a mosquito which has the same housing, just different colors, and similar functions to the d3.
the first one i had i got replaced (reluctantly! maybe cause i'm diving in egypt???) . it had odd surprises for me: showing 8m depth in a 4m pool, and showing 4m depth on the surface! took me a while to find a way to set it back to zero.
my girlfriends mosquito, now that she dives with it for a few months only, regularly doesn't switch into dive mode, starts counting after 5-10m, stops measuring depth+time at 5m on the ascent.

i have to say i like the piece for all the info it provides during and after dives (i only use it for freediving) but i have to say that it's extremely unrelieble. hopefully my replacement is an improved model and hopefully also my girlfriend gets a replacement, too.

i'd be interested if anybody else experiences problems with their d3/mosquito's.

and shane: the same that you describe happens with mine also. i usually take it out of the water and try again, which solves the problem.

roland

:cool:

Suunto problems

My D3 has no problems like that and behaves perfectly but my Stinger did have a strange problem also to do with depth.

The Maximum depth field never quite showed 00.0 prior to a dive it was always 00.2 or 00.3, as soon as I dived it was fine.
I was told to send it back for recalibration but never did. After a while the problem went away with use and it now operates fine. Maybe it was a bit sticky on the sensor and needed "running in" Is your D3 quite new?

Simon.

Last edited:
shaneshac said:
I am having trouble with the depth calibration on my D3. When I am floating on the surface it is reading 0.8 metres. When I am lying face down on the surface and drop my hands it goes over 1.2 metres and thinks I am submerged.

And no in case your wondering I do not possess the physical attributes of an orang utan (Before the smart comments arrive :D )

If anyone has had this problem and knows the solution please advise.

Thanks

Shane

My problem is of the same kind, but reverse : last January, my D3 occasionnally refused to start dive timing at 1.80 m depth... whereas it should start from 1.20 m...

After 2 months spent in Finland in SUUNTO (so says my retailer) for repair, my D3 refused to start dive timing at 3 m depth !!!

And my retailer implies that I do not know how to use my D3 !

My retailer should replace it for free, shouldn't he ?

Jon said:
I sent it back to Aqualung and they just replaced the whole unit- FOR FREE!

I envy you... Aqualung is as well the ditributor for SUUNTO D3 in France...

My retailer sent them my D3 last January but instead of replacing it for free as did your distributor he sent it to SUUNTO Finland (so said he) ; after more than 2 months, I had my D3 back... with the same problem, as though nothing had been done !

And they imply that I do not know how to use my D3 in a proper way !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT