• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suunto D3 Questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Brian Hamilton

Subsea Sniper
Jun 15, 2003
I purchased a Suunto D3 last week. The first one arrived broken (described in a previous thread) but my new one was sent out and I have dived with it and am very pleased with the watch.

I have a few questions regarding this watch.

I believe that in FREE mode the watch begins measuring the dive after the watch is submerged to 2ft or more and then goes into surface interval mode when during the ascent the same depth is reached. Does this mean that the watch will not count the time of the dive spent within this 2ft depth? My buddy timed one of my dives at 1:12 but the watch read 1:08.

If I was say 55 ft under water and a 5 ft swell was on the surface would the watch read this?

When diving do you have the watch under or over your wetsuits? I currently wear my watch over my suit but roll my glove over it.

Brian,

I beleive you are correct about the D3 not counting the time spent between the surface and two ft depth! Personally I think this is a good thing since your arms (with the watch attached) often are some distance down when you are at the surface.

Regarding the 5 ft swell at 55 ft depth, I do not beleive that it would register since the watch measures pressure and converts that to depth (in saltwater mind you, if diving in freshwater you need to multiply by 1.025). I beleive that the effect of such a swell on the pressure at that depth would not be noticeable.

Regarding the placement of the watch, You should place it where it is in some contact with the surrounding water. Placing it under your wetsuit could cause it to (temporarily) malfunction if the suit completely seals it off from the surrounding water. Folding your glove over it will probably not cause any problems.

I hope your new D3 will work well for you!

// Johnny

Brian Hamilton said:
I believe that in FREE mode the watch begins measuring the dive after the watch is submerged to 2ft or more

I would say 4 ft (1.20 m) is the minimum depth...

In normal surface swimming, your wrist may attain more than 2 ft depth !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT