• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

suunto d4

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Yiannis Pengas

Aug 20, 2007
Hi there

I have heard that Suunto D4 is "the" spearfishing watch to have

what is the consensus out there
what makes it "special"?

Well, it is one of alternatives. Personally, I am no more a fan of Suunto anymore after having experienced their customer service, and the reliability of their previous products, and D4 was rather a disappointment in several ways (no new features in comparison to D3/Mosquitto, high price, battery that is not user-replaceable, ...). Just enter D4, "computer", "dive watch" or similar expression into the search box above in the menu, and you will find plenty of opinions, reviews and alternatives. I am looking forward to the AERIS F.10 which looks very promising, and will luckily dump my Suunto if the F.10 turns out to be as good as it looks like.

Last edited:
if you are just spearing, especially between the rocks etc, buy a cheap used Mosquito on Ebay. Look at less than $200 with cable.

D4's are cool but expensive to bash spearing IMHO

I have a D3 and love it. I think the D4 show a small graph of the dive on the watch face? this would be a new feature over the D3... maybe a gimmick tho!
I mainly use the watch for bottom time and more importantly perhaps, for surface intervals, works well for this. Have had to change the battery 3 times in the last year :-(

Have to agree with you Jonny im a big d3 fan and use it mainly for recovery time. It does eat batteries but if you wash and dry the watch after your days diving they last longer.

i dive in mine 6 to 8 times a month, and use it for pool practise 3x per week. the bat has lasted a year.

I did try one bat. that only lasted a few months. Make sure the battery is a reputable Japanese brand and from a fresh stock. Electronics shops are the best source. The batteries in those little camera shops tend to be years old.

Foxfish I got mine off Ebay, off someone from you loverly little island. Paid £100 second hand. They have stopped making them now tho so not sure what I'll do when it packs up :(

I brought a D4 last October so I've have only used it a few times to date. I have not previously owned any dive computer so I have nothing to compare it to. I can say that, whilst it may be expensive, it does what it says on the box. It comes with two clear adhesive screen protective films and an expandable strap system. As a UK spearo I have found it does what I want and so far does it reliably. I like the on screen graphical post dive display. The build quality is very good. I do think it is a draw back that there is no user replaceable battery as in the previoius D3, but that is the only down side so far. If I discover any problems in future use I will post them on DB.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT