• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suunto, Mares or Citizen for freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tahoe Diver

Dec 30, 2004
Hello freedivers!

I need to purchase a computer for freediving and I've read/heard mixed reviews on the Suunto D3. The D3 sounds like it would be a good choice but I'd rather not have problems with it, of course. I'd also like to wear the watch daily.

Then there's the Citizen line of dive watches with the Eco-drive feature so it would never need a battery. Does anyone dive with this watch? It would show max depth, current depth to 125 feet at 1 sec intervals and elapsed dive time. It's not digital and it wouldn't have a depth alarm, but from what I hear about the D3, it wouldn't matter anyway. And did I mention that it never needs a battery...

Then to make things more complicated, there's the Mares Nemo.

Which should I buy?

Thanks!

I admit that I'm biased. I have had endless problems with every computer I have ever used except for the Suunto Stinger. I was so frustrated that I developed my own computer, the Liquivision F1 freediving computer. If you can afford it (455 Euro), then it would be worth waiting until it is released (around May).

The only computer that I would buy, that is currently on the market, is the Stinger. Problem with the Stinger is:
1. Surface interval is not displayed in minutes & seconds
2. Must send it in to replace battery
3. Can't read it in deep+dark water
4. Alarm is too silent
5. Sampling rate is too slow (2 seconds)
6. Takes forever to go into dive mode, often missing the first 12 seconds of the dive
7. Temperature reading takes too long to equalize

Nonetheless, of existing computers for sale, it is the one I would pick. The D9 is obviously way out of any normal person's price range (1500 euro).

Hi Eric,

What about the Nemo, any experience with that?

Double (loud) alarms for both depth and time, ok 2s sample rate, etc.

Greetz Pim

If you need something to record dive times & surface intervals accurately but don't need a display, then have a look at www.reefnet.on.ca

I use the Sensus Pro, it records everything, even temp, with a 1s sample rate, then you download it later, I use a Palm. Tiny little thing too, and cheap especially as 5+ people to buy at the same time you get a good discount. Battery life is something like 10yrs.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT