• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suunto Mosquito question.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
10x for your opinion Paul.

I couldn't care less if it has 1 or 2 sec sampling.:)
I have no intentions what so ever to switch gasses during dives in the future. The most I'll ever use might be nitrox, and even that is only coz I got the IANTD first level already (would'nt have done it today even though it was a real cheap special offer).
I rather have tables in the watch since I might give it to my father for scuba use, and I'll be much calmer if he has an active table that makes beeps and lights than a piece of plack with numbers.

I have made my mind. Tables and more reliability (D3 doesn't have a good reputation) wins over price and looks (the blue D3 is damn beautiful). I consider the difference as a long term investment in safety. And safety is the main purpose I buy a computer anyhow.. I always lose track of time down there and bad at estimating my interval times (which is needed if solo).
tried diving with a normal watch, but 90% of the time I just keep forgeting to use it, it's just not in my blood.

I'm now just working on finding one at a reasonable price. The problem is that in Israel they cost about 100euro more than the scubastore price tag due to taxes and market. I can't avoid those taxes even if ordering one to Israel. I'll find a good deal sometime in the next 6 months for sure. patiance would prevail.

10x for all of those who posted here.

Good choice...I did scuba with a watch too and forgot to start timing surface intervals etc. so just had to go with buddies computers. And like I said the Mosquito is excellent for multilevel. If you are at 30m you have very little bottom time according to the tables and whatever you do after than you base your total bottom time on that maximum depth. With the computer you only ascend a few metres and your bottom time extends drastically. You're doing deco on the subsequent shallower parts of the dive. It really helped me understand what was happening seeing it calcualted in real time. You can of course plan a dive using a wheel but in Cyprus the PADI wheel is about the same cost as the price difference between the D3 and the Mosquito.

Don't know about Israel but in Cyprus we get hit with huge shipping costs from my vendors. I ended up buying my Mosquito locally so I could return it easioly if problems. Also although the battery is user changeable 'd sooner the guys I bouht if from did it in case the O-ring were to leak.

paul

I think I won't have problems replacing the battary at one of the places that service Suunto here, atleast for the first times so I'll know what's the deal is about - if it's complicated or something I'll go for them everytime needed. It would be very unfortunate to lose the whole computer over a battary issue.

Multilevel dives: I use CMAS stuff, and I saw the PADI wheel first time only when abroad. It just looked like a different GUI for a table, that's it. I bet you can scan, print and produce one of your own with no problem.
But I think it is not needed. If the PADI tables are anyway similar to the CMAS tables (and I think they are, just maybe a bit less conservative), You just calculate the next level as a new dive with '0' interval time using nitrogen debth table. Just like any other repetitive dive but with 0 interval time. I thought it was a basic thing. If you want I can explain this thing further for you.

Yep, wheel just makes it that little bit easier and if you want a nice plastic one that isn't going to get soggy and fall apart you're talking serious money for the PADI [Put Another Dollar In] offering which takes your from the D3 to the Mosquito anyway.

I still think scuba dives should be planned in advance with tables or wheel but seeing it all unfold in real time was really helpful to me plus if the dive doesn't go to plan even a few minutes at 30m or so on air means big changes in bottom times etc.

Anyway, I agree with your Mosquito decision :)

I menat that you can print it on plastic or laminate it.
My hard plastic table (the one I got when certified) has all the needed tables for caculating multi level dives underwater. It might even take me less time that in takes a PADI wheel to roll. :)
The only major difference I can think of is that the wheel is more accurate regarding time and depth, since the tables are build by range (like 25-27meter, 28-30meter etc.).

Anyway, Mosquito tops it all. especially since I don't have the nitrox tables on plastic. :)
(not that I dove nitrox in the last 3-4 years. :) )

Bill said:
Many of us are having problems with the D3. I don't know if it's just the earlier models or not. My Mosquito was very reliable, the D3 has a mind of it's own sometimes.

What kind of problems did you have ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT