• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Suunto Vytec vs. Suunto D9

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Danie

Jan 31, 2005
I've a Suunto Cobra computer and I'm looking at purchasing or rather switching to a hose less air integrated computer. To stay with Suunto my choices are either the Vytec or the new D9.

If one can forget about the price for a moment... :mute and only look at the computers…

Any suggestions, opinions or experiences?

Danie said:
I've a Suunto Cobra computer and I'm looking at purchasing or rather switching to a hose less air integrated computer. To stay with Suunto my choices are either the Vytec or the new D9.

If one can forget about the price for a moment... :mute and only look at the computers…

Any suggestions, opinions or experiences?

The D9 is REALLY new on the market. In fact, when I came back from my dive holiday in December, the Duty Free shop in the airport was still waiting on them to come in. Having the integrated compass would seem to me to be a real plus for the D9 if price is no object..... Seems to be a sweet piece of kit from everything I have read about it...

IMHO of course.

Yes I agree… I also sent the following to Suunto:

I have downloaded the Suunto Dive Manager 2.0 software and the upgrade, to “test” it or rather play with it to see what the data for the Suunto D9 would look like. I was a bit disappointed not to find any data for the D9 within Dive Manager 2. Is there a place where I could download a profile?

On your website you say that “bearings can be locked, and visual aids are provided for navigating set courses or for pattern navigation. Headings can be stored in the memory for later analysis using the memory functions or the PC interface”. Is it possible to view these functions for the D9 in Dive Manager 2?

This was the reply:

Thank you for contacting Suunto.

Unfortunately the Suunto Dive Manager 2.0 does not have any kind of test in it. We do not have a profile to be downloaded neither. However, if you have used Dive Manager 1.6 before, you can import some of your logs to the Dive Manager 2.0 and play with it.

You can see the headings which are stored in your dive computer in the Dive Manager 2.0. They can be found in your logs under Bookmark.

Obviously I do not have headings stored in my Dive computer because it is not a D9…

- Is there anyone out there that have dived with the D9 and tried its compass/book marking function?

- How does its print (onscreen font size) compare to the Vytec? Easy to read?

- Does any one have a D9 profile to share, that we could see what the D9 does on “paper”?

I've been using a D9 for about a month now. Very nice bit of kit, especially with the transmitter. DM2 does the profiles quite nicely and the compass is fun although it takes a bit of getting used to!

Not used a Vytec so I can't really give you a comparison but I suspect it depends on whether you want the big screen of the Vytec or the smaller watch sized D9. I think I'd always still have my Cobra on the hose as backup though.

RoryM

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT