• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sven's 2004 AB GRAB

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

icarus pacific

Human-in-training
Nov 7, 2001
Waaaay back before a goodly portion of you DB types were born, you used to see bumperstickers on the rear of VW's asking, "What if they gave a war and nobody came?" Fast forward some thirtyfive years and you might see a rather large Ford truck displaying the sticker, "What if they gave an AB Grab and nobody showed?" The times they are a-changin.

The call went out to twenty or so DB members in good standing, Keyz Kraze vets and general local lowlifes and the response trickled in with the requisite bogus excuses of no importance such as, recent marriages, recent births, recent job hires/losses, not being able to get off work, the wife or the couch, and my favorite, the no-return-da-call.

And so with the hefty deposit already sent, the food bought and the truck and the blonde warmed up, yours truly toodled up to the Land of Your and sat and waited for two attendees.

Yeah. Two. :head

Happily those two were in the form of DB's OceanSwimmer, Cynthia and her male accessory, Volker, of San Diego Freedivers fame. At least I wasn't ging to be saddled with someone that didn't know what they were in for, Cynthia having survived last year and der Volker having spent some time up here in his young past. And would'nt ya know that the weather that had been dumping the past three days opened up and the Sun Surf and Sand shone? See, those little blue squares over there work! ;)

We had occasion to dive a couple of spots, the first being an easy beach entry to an easy bottom accessed by an easy kick to the bottom easily seen some 10-20 feet below, where the abalone were already taking their ease. Easy huh?

Volker decided to let me keep an eye on Cynthia and went off to show the Sultan who was boss, which was fine, as the place I sent him to look didn't amount to shit. rofl And so Cynthia proceeded to develop a clearer understanding of the differences in weighting oneself when that self is in a 7 mil from a 5 mil. And that the ab iron is to be used much like a lover's kiss and less a stake to heart of a vampire. :blackeye Poor things never knew what hit 'em. Her first and personal best. Whatta gal. Volker got a couple nice ones too, almost as large as mine. heh heh heh... there are advantages to being a local.

We gathered enough massive mollusk for that evening, a good thing as the B.O.B., (Blonde on the Beach) can motor through abalone much like Patton on his way to meet Montgomery. :p It's like I never feed her or something...

That evening saw us at the table for twelve with enough food for 18, but don't ask me where the leftovers went. urp. :eek: Damn shame about those ab won tons though, friggin electric ovens...

The morn dawned sunny and calmer than the previous couple days allowing us to jump off the rocks to an area I had spent some time in doing the Nationals thing- GPS-ing and feeding the little buggers, but even then, nobody needed nuthin in the way of help. Volker determined to outdo himself went over there where I pointed and Cynthia and I set about to enjoy her newfound appreciation of an additional 7 pounds and the kid just dove and dove and dove. She did too. Not only eclipsing her PB but garnering her first limit of three, these things weren't only alve, but they were big! she slayed 'em I tell ya!:ko

I went off to see what part of the Northern California coast der Volkster was in and met him on his way back to his float with him gleefully declaring that he thought he had a ten-incher. I smiled inwardly that even though we had just met the day before, he already knew my favorite line to use with unwed Mothers. :inlove

We went back and after experiencing that joyous ballet that is the rock exit aided by surf and swell, the V-man unsheathed the snail and lo and behold, the guy pulled it off- his first ten. :king Who knows how to point 'em out eh? Cynthia was heard muttering something about that being the only thing ten inches and something about she getting hers first but nevermind...

And just like that, the event that never was, was over. Stuffed, relaxed from hot tub statics and with a trunk heavy with gear and abalone, the sole two attendees that manned-up and showed, drove back to the sunny climes and warmer waters of So Cal where they don't have this stuff. At all.

You missed out, folks.

* note- those of you readers out there that are just dying to see the photos of the abalone, the shoreline, the sunset and me and the blonde in various stages of undress in the hot tub are going to be bummed. Well not as bummed as the blonde, whose camera containing the evidence of the dive and other entries was stolen that next day during a biz trip. But all you need to do is answer the call next September to experience all that is AB GRAB and smooth.

Cool beans. I wish i could have been there. Hopefully next year.

Aquiles

.....Ten Inches....

....The story is true, folks: Storm swell and surf had us a tad nervous here in SoCal, but we had a couple of beautiful days at Sea Ranch. And I'm not just talking about weather! The seas were flatter than a....pancake, the sun shone bright and clear without a breath of wind. Yes, add perfect digs [thanks to the Sultan] and professional guidance [again, from the Sultan Himself!] -- and I got my first ab and my first limit :) The food was superb....abalone chile-rellenos are da kine! and yes, we ate very well indeed thanks to our hosts' attention to detail. My other 'first' was the sight of an octopus who thought he had first dibs on an abalone.....Sven scared him into a corner whilst I stole his dinner. Amazing to see it change color in a nanosecond...:cool:
Next year I'd love to do two more days diving; and yes, check my damn calendar!
To those who didn't make it --- your loss --- :( Since the weather shut down the day after we departed and rained pitchforks...we hunkered down in Santa Cruz and enjoyed the scenery.

Many, many thanks to Sven and his legendary blonde accessory for a wonderful time:inlove

Reactions: Adrian
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT