• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swallowing while doing static breath hold

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

slaterson19

Oct 2, 2015
Hey, I'm taking a class and before the class I was only doing 45 second breath holds on the couch and my last attempt in the water with my instructor was 2:05 a week later. It sucks but hey its improvement. When I was doing static apnea I kept having to swallow (I wasn't opening my mouth and swallowing water). I guess I was getting a throat closing sensation and wanted to clear my throat. I tried to stop swallowing but its hard not to. My instructor said he hasn't had any students do this before. Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips? I know I should be able to go longer because my instructor said I'm not huffing and puffing when I come up for air. Thanks.

I have had that issue as well at times, sometimes worse than others, and some not at all. I dont have any tips though so please tell me when you find some.

I get sensations like this as well and I have found tongue position in my mouth helps. I find "folding" my tongue so my tip is pointing to the back helps a bit so i feel taste buds (weird and hard to describe) . Its probably just the distraction of doing something with your mouth but it helps.

Reactions: Janzio
I get a slight urge to swallow half way between beginning a static and contractions. I was taught to use it as a method to reduce the pressure build up in my trachea. I only swallow once.
I believe it's normal.

Always get this urge to swallow, when I succumb to it my contractions begin seconds later. Usually it's during dry static while laying on my back because saliva is trickling down the back of my neck, but sometimes during seated breatholds underwater at the bottom of the pool. I find it helps relieve pressure in my trachea but again, always triggers my contractions.

... but sometimes during seated breatholds underwater at the bottom of the pool. I find it helps relieve pressure in my trachea but again, always triggers my contractions.
I hope you're not doing those alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the urge to swallow all the way through during breathholds, but I see it as a positive thing. I find that since it forces your to fully close your glottis, it actually helps me hold the pressure where it should be, and make sure I'm not letting air slip into my mouth. I seem to get it less when I'm diving deep, although I'm not sure if this is because I'm distracted and just don't notice it as much, or (more likely I think) that the shrinking lung volume at depth reduces the pressure on my glottis, so that I dont need to swallow to help keep it closed.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips?
Hello @slaterson19, yes I have this most times I do a dry static, it's been a while since I did a wet static so I can't remember. The thing is to not let it become a distraction. Notice the fact that you're swallowing, and accept it, then gently bring your attention back to what ever it is you think about when you are doing a breath hold. As others have pointed out it can be a step along the path to the eventual arrival of diagphramatic contractions so don't worry about it as no one has raised a concern about it. Once you become relaxed about it you can then try some of the techniques others have suggested, with an open and inquisitive mind, to see if they work for you.

Reactions: cel.es.celes
I couldn't read all of this, but it sounds like the post I posted here while ago. You will get used to it and learn with more pratice. I used to get that urgency to swallow when I very first started to practice.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT